This Easy Instant Pot French Onion Soup can be on the table in 30 minutes. Ready set, instant pot!
I shared another French Onion soup recipe with you all a few years back now. That recipe had scallops in it, yes scallops. The recipe is a tad fancier and was done on the stovetop and then broiled in the oven.
If you want to take a look at that recipe. See here: French Onion Soup Broiled Scallops
I was craving french onion soup as of late. And came up with this recipe, it was gone within the hour in my house.
It is a WINNER folks, so follow along!
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH ONION SOUP INSTANT POT
There are several ways to make french onion soup. Some people do it on the stovetop then bring it to the oven to broil it. While others make it in their instant pot (like in this recipe) and put it either in the microwave to melt the cheese or in the oven at the last minute.
It all comes down to personal preferences. But one thing is for certain, you want to use lots of onion and a good quality beef stock for this soup!
- Step one: You will want to slice your onions and then add your butter and olive oil to the instant pot. And turn it on simmer, once the butter has melted you will add in the onions, salt and pepper and 3 tbsp of Knorrs onion soup mix (my secret ingredient)
- Step 2: Saute the onions till browned, turning often.
Now those onions are perfectly browned, baby!
Step 3: Add in the beef broth, bay leaf and all the seasonings.
Step 4: Simmer in the instant pot on medium heat all together for 15 more minutes.
Step 5: Discard the bay leaf, then ladle the soup into bowls and top with Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese.
Step 6: Place each individual bowl in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
If you want bread in this soup, feel free to add some croutons before the cheese.
This soup can also be made Vegetarian, simply by using Vegetable stock instead of beef.
HOW TO SERVE FRENCH ONION SOUP
Serve with croutons if desired.
This recipe will make a large pot of soup, so if you have any any leftovers “which is highly unlikely” unless it’s just you. Then you can enjoy it over the next few days or freeze it as a meal prep option for another time if desired.
CAN FRENCH ONION SOUP BE FROZEN
Yes and it even tastes better the next day. So go ahead and make a BIG old pot and save some for another day!
Notes: Keep in mind, as with all my recipes. If you want to make more or less of this soup, simple adjust the serving size in the ingredients section above and the servings will automatically adjust for you. And save yourself time and hassle, and let your food processor chop up your beets and cabbage up, also it gives a great consistency to the soup.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 3 tbsps of Butter
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp of Knorr Onion Mix
- 48 oz of Beef Stock
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 1 tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp of Knorr Onion Mix
- 1 tsp of Thyme
- 1 tsp of Garlic powder
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup of Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- You will want to slice your onions and then add your butter and olive oil to the instant pot. And turn it on simmer, once the butter has melted you will add in the onions, salt and pepper and 3 tbsp of Knorrs onion soup mix (my secret ingredient)
- Saute the onions till browned, turning often.
- Add in the beef broth, bay leaf and all the seasonings.
- Simmer in the instant pot on medium heat all together for 15 more minutes.
- Place each individual bowl in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Discard the bay leaf, then ladle the soup into bowls and top with Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1072mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 26g