- 6 large sliced White Onions
- 4 cups Beef stock
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Red Cooking Wine
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- Half Loaf Crusty Bread
- 5 Scallops
This Homemade French Onion soup is simmered in red wine, beef and chicken broth. Then topped with toasted crusty bread, gruyere cheese and some scallops. Your going to want to get yourself a set of some good quality oven proof bowls and then you will be in business to make the best french onion soup ever.
Typically people caramelize there onions on the stove for a minimum of 45 minutes, turning them often. However if your pressed for time, you can let the slow cooker do that work for you and save you the hassle too.
Now I don’t know about you but cutting 6 large onions is a pain, so another way to make this job easier is to allow your food processor do most of that work. Of course your going to still peel each onion and cut diagonally , before placing in the processor to slice. But I promise you, it can be done in half the time this way and each onion will be cut perfectly too. As long as you are using a good food processor such as the one I use and recommend below.
Traditionally french onion soup is topped with Gruyere cheese, however you can substitute for swiss which is similar in taste. I like to use Gruyere through which can be found in most European markets. This recipe will make roughly 5 large bowls of french onion soup, or 6 small to medium. So if you have any any leftovers “which is highly unlikely” unless it’s just you, then you can enjoy it over the next few days or share with those lucky enough to be around the kitchen with you.
To make this soup you will want to have a slow cooker and food processor, which will saves you a ton of time. Otherwise you can caramelize the onions on the stove top anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour stirring often till they caramelize to get the job done. And slicing the onions by hand, but I much prefer using the food processor and slow cooker to get these tasks done. Adding scallops on top the toasted bread and cheese is an option, not a requirement. But trust me it makes each bowl even that more special, I use medium sized scallops you can use small, medium or large. More or less, totally depends on you, after all this is your soup, right?
To make the French Onion Soup with Broiled Scallops:
- Start by peeling and dicing each onion in a half and then placing in your food processor. Slice them all till done and then place into your slow cooker with butter and olive oil and a bay leaf.
- Turn on the browning setting and add in the salt and sugar this helps to caramelize the onions. “do not skip this step”. Brown all together for 5 minutes till the onions are slightly softened.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook the onions for 10 hours till caramelized.
- Once the onions have cooked, pour in 1 cup of “Red Cooking Wine” and simmer on the browning setting till the wine cooks off about 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with thyme, pepper.
- Add in the Salted Beef and Chicken stock, simmering all together for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and taste to see if more salt is needed, season accordly.
- Then carefully ladle the soup into 5 or 6 oven proof bowls.
- On a baking tray, lay out 5 pieces of cut crusty bread and butter the top and season with a little onion powder.
- Broil the bread till lightly crisp for 2 minutes, remove and cut each pieces if half and place on top each soup bowl.
- Top with Gruyere cheese and one or two scallops per bowl.
- Broil not directly on the top rack but the one a little lower down for 7 minutes till the scallops are cooked and the cheese is bubbling and browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Serve hot directly from the oven and you will be in French Onion Soup heaven in no time!
Notes: Keep in mind, as with all my recipes. If you want to make more or less of this soup, simple adjust the serving size in the ingredients section above and the servings will automatically adjust for you.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe id love to hear about it!You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!