This Healthy Leek Soup is super easy to make and can be made in large batches and enjoyed over a few days. Make in your Instant pot or Slow Cooker or even on the Stove Top.
We grew up eating this soup in our home ofte. My mother made it from scratch during the colder months.
Now I like to enjoy it just about any time of the year.
My mother used more potatoes vs leeks.
I much prefer to use more leeks than potatoes. It tastes just as creamy but has more of a green color to a pale white color that you may be more used too. I encourage you to try all varieties to find what version suits you best.
WHAT DO LEEKS TASTE LIKE
Leeks taste like mild onions and once they are cooked they take on a sweet taste.
WHAT SPICES FOR POTATO LEEK SOUP
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
IS POTATO LEEK SOUP HEALTHY
Yes, it is made with lots of root vegetables.
I just love the freshness of this soup.
HOW MAKE POTATO LEEK SOUP
- Leek and Potato soup can be made several different ways, so it all comes down to personal preferences. But one thing is for certain, you want to use fresh leek, cream and chicken stock.
- You can make this soup in either your Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or even on the Stove Top.
Keep in mind Leeks are a dirty root vegetable, so make sure you wash them properly to remove all the mud prior to cooking.
This recipe will make a large pot of soup, so if you have any any leftovers “which is highly unlikely” unless it’s just you. Then you can enjoy it over the next few days or freeze it as a meal prep option for another time if desired.
CAN POTATO LEEK SOUP BE FROZEN
Yes, and it even tastes better the next day. So go ahead and make a BIG old pot and save some for another day!
The soup should be stored in a sealable container for up to 3 months.
HOW LONG DOES POTATO LEEK SOUP LAST IN THE FRIDGE
In a sealable container up to 3 days!
Notes: Keep in mind, as with all my recipes. If you want to make more or less of this soup, simple adjust the serving size in the ingredients section above and the servings will automatically adjust for you. And save yourself time and hassle, and let your food processor chop up your beets and cabbage up, also it gives a great consistency to the soup.
LOOKING FOR SOME MORE AWESOME SOUP RECIPES?
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Simple Mushroom Soup
- Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
- Broiled Lasagna Soup
- Healthy Seafood Soup
- Thai Carrot Soup
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 large leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced,
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 pounds potatoes, peeled chopped into small pieces
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of croutons
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp of dried or fresh thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Start by melting the butter in a large stock pot over high heat.
- Add in the sliced leeks, fresh minced garlic and stir until the leeks are soft.
- Add in the diced potatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a medium heat and simmer till the potatoes are fork tender.
- Then remove the soup from the stove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once it has cooled pour in 2 batches into a blender and puree till smooth.
- Now place the soup back in the stock pot, slowly adding in the cream.
- Simmer on low to medium heat till it thickens. Taste to see if salt is needed.
- Serve garnished with croutons.
Be careful when blending the soup. You do not want to fill the glass blender with piping hot continues as the pressure can explode and burn you. Rather allow the soup to cool down and only fill half way, pureeing the soup in batches. Allowing air to escape every few seconds between pureeing the soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 664Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix