This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup is a family favorite in my house. I like to prepare a big pot of this soup and will enjoy it over a few days.
WHAT IS CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
It has all the same ingredients that cabbage rolls would have with stock to make it a soup.
It basically a cabbage roll done the lazy way, meaning we are not rolling the ingredients into a pre cooked cabbage leaf.
Instead we are throwing all those ingredients into a soup rather than rolling them up neat and tidy.
CAN CABBAGE ROLL SOUP BE FROZEN
Yes, it stores well as leftovers and freezes very well!
Cabbage roll soup is one of those staple soups that everyone should have in there recipe books.
It can be very healthy for you depending on the quality of ingredients you choose to use.
WHAT IS IN CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
I like to use:
- Organic grass fed beef
- Beef Stock
- Whole canned tomatoes
- 1 fresh tomato
- Tomato Juice
Did you know whole canned tomatoes are much better than the chopped ones?
Yes it’s true. You can read learn more about that topic on thekitchn.com
This recipe can stretch too and feed allot of people, so feel free to make a few pots and freeze them for easy enjoyment over the colder months.
IS CABBAGE ROLL SOUP KETO FRIENDLY
Yes, it is low in carbs.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
This soup can be done on the stove top as I did or if your pressed for time in your slow cooker.
Whichever method you choose, I am sure this one will be something your family enjoys!
Also to save some times, feel free to use your food processor to chop the cabbage .
You can use the shred option which will give you more of a shredded cabbage in the soup.
Notes: Keep in mind, as with all my recipes. If you want to make more or less of this soup, simple adjust the serving size in the ingredients section above and the servings will automatically adjust for you. This soup can store in the fridge for up to 3 days and or freeze for up to 3 months.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this, I want to see! Follow Canadian Cooking Adventures Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @canadiancookingadventures and #canadiancookingadventures.
- 600 grams Organic Hamburger
- 5 cups Beef stock
- 1 cup Tomato Juice
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 794 grams large Whole canned tomatoes
- 1 Large tomato, chopped
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 medium White cabbage
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp of Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a large stock pot add 1 tbsp of cooking oil along with the chopped onion and ground beef.
- Cook over medium heat till the beef and onion are browned. Then remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot add in the beef stock, can of tomatoes, paste and chopped cabbage, along with the remaining ingredients and seasonings.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium heat adding back in the cooked onions and hamburger along with the bay leaf.
- Simmer over a medium heat adding in the rice slowly and stir to combine well. Simmer for another 25 minutes and or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and ladle into soup bowls, enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 1709mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 28g