This Homemade Cabbage Roll Soup is absolutely delicious. I like to prepare a big pot of this soup a couple times throughout the year, it also freezes very well.
It freezes so well and allows me to enjoy it whenever i’m feeling the urge to eat a healthy hearty bowl of soup.
Cabbage roll soup is one of those staple foods that everyone should have in there recipe books.
It can be very healthy for you depending on the quality of ingredients you choose to use.
I like to use organic grass fed beef and better than bouillon beef stock in this recipe, along with whole canned tomatoes.
Did you know whole canned tomatoes are much better than the chopped ones?
Yes it’s true. You can read learn more about that topic on thekitchn.com
This recipe can stretch too and feed allot of people, so feel free to make a few pots and freeze them for easy enjoyment over the colder months.
So what is cabbage roll soup? Well it’s basically a cabbage roll done the lazy way, meaning we are not rolling the ingredients into a pre cooked cabbage leaf.
Instead we are throwing all those ingredients into a soup rather than rolling them up neat and tidy.
This soup can be done on the stove top as I did or if your pressed for time in your slow cooker.
Whichever method you choose, I am sure this one will be something your family enjoys!
Also to save some times, feel free to use your food processor to chop the cabbage .
You can use the shred option which will give you more of a shredded cabbage in the soup or use the chop option and have larger chunks like I have done here.
Notes: Keep in mind, as with all my recipes. If you want to make more or less of this soup, simple adjust the serving size in the ingredients section above and the servings will automatically adjust for you. This soup can store in the fridge for up to 3 days and or freeze for up to 3 months.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 600 grams Organic Hamburger
- 5 cups Beef stock
- 1 cup Vegetable Juice
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 794 grams large Whole canned tomatoes
- 1 medium White cabbage
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbp Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Fresh Jalepeno
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a large stock pot add 1 tbsp of cooking oil along with the chopped onion and ground beef.
- Cook over medium heat till the beef and onion are browned. Then remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot add in the beef stock, can of tomatoes, paste and chopped cabbage, along with the remaining ingredients and seasonings.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium heat adding back in the cooked onions and hamburger along with the bay leaf.
- Simmer over a medium heat adding in the rice slowly and stir to combine well. Simmer for another 25 minutes and or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and ladle into soup bowls, enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 1709mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 11g Protein: 28g