These Cuban Black Beans and Rice have some shredded chicken added to it. And are served alongside some fresh tomatoes, cilantro, limes and avocados to make it an all around hearty meal.
If you have never had this dish before then I encourage you to give it a try because it’s super delicious and not to mention a healthy meal the whole family will enjoy!
I also love that they are packed full of protein, which really makes for a satisfying meal.
In Cajun and Creole cuisine the hearty black bean has become a staple food and I can see why.
It’s meaty and jam packed with nutrients.
When cooked right these black beans have a meaty flavor, making them a very popular dinner option.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE INSTANT POT
You can also prepare these in the instant pot and cut the cooking time in half.
Simply chop the chicken prior and add all the ingredients to the pot and cook according to your cookers instructions.
If I have enough time, I prefer to use uncooked black beans for this recipe.
So I will soak my beans overnight to ensure they cook properly the next day.
To soak black beans you will want to cover them in about 10 inches or more of water overnight and place them in the fridge to ensure they don’t ferment.
However soaking the beans is not necessary since you can always purchase pre cooked canned beans which work just as good.
If you are soaking the beans overnight like I do, just make sure to rinse them several times before soaking.
This is because you are going to want to use that bean water in the cooking process.
WHAT GOES WITH CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE
- Fresh Cilantro
- Chicken, pork, shrimp
This recipe is definitely something your going to want to add to your recipe book 🙂
Notes: If soaking uncooked beans overnight, be sure to place them in the fridge otherwise they may ferment on the counter and have to be discarded.
Looking to use dry beans vs canned? Here is a quick Conversion chart
Looking for more Black Bean recipes?
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this, I want to see! Follow Canadian Cooking Adventures Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @canadiancookingadventures and #canadiancookingadventures.
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 2/3 cup dry = 540 mL Black Beans
- chopped into fours Green Pepper
- half chopped into fours Onion
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 adobo Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 Lime
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- chopped finely Avocado
- chopped finely Garden tomato
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- 2 cups White rice
- In a large pot add 2 tbsp of olive oil and the quartered onion and green pepper. Over low - medium heat add in the crushed garlic and saute for a couple minutes till fragrant.
- Pour in the black beans and the liquid that remains from soaking them overnight, otherwise add the liquid from the canned beans. Cover the beans with at least 6 inches of water for uncooked black beans and 3 inches for canned. Add in all the seasoning sand chopped adobo peppers at this time as well.
- Simmer on low - heat for one hour the uncooked black beans till tender or 30 minutes for the canned beans.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet. Saute one chicken breast on both sides till cooked.
- Remove from the pan and shred with two folks and add to the beans.
- Once the liquid has near evaporated and the beans are tender there done. Keep an eye on them since you may need to add more liquid if there not fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomato and avocado and cilantro season the avocado and tomato with salt and set aside.
- Once the beans have cooked fully, remove the onion but keep the green pepper for serving. Plate up with your favorite white rice and drizzle the juice from one lime over the beans. Enjoy!