I absolutely love black bean chili and this is my favorite way to make it. Without any meat, because you really don’t need it.
Now there are so many black bean chili or soup recipes out there and almost all call for some type of meat protein in it.
However, if done right you really don’t need meat for black bean chili, because one cup of black beans provides 15.2 grams of protein.
Plus black beans are also a good source of antioxidants making this one of the healthiest chili recipes around.
Did you know that the fiber in black beans actually helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease?
Well if that is not more reason enough to omit the meat and go Vegetarian tonight, I don’t know what is!
I like to serve fresh jalapenos on-top this chili before serving.
So if you have small kids or those who can’t handle the heat, you can omit the fresh jalapenos at the end.
You can cook this on the stove top or in your slow cooker, both methods work great.
I hope you give this a try because it’s super delicious!
Note: I like to use “Better than Bouillon” Chicken stock. We buy ours from Costco, so instead of using 8 cups of liquid Chicken Stock, we use 3 tbsp of that instead. If your interested in trying it out, the link is below.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
Mexican Black Bean Chili
This Vegetarian Mexican Black Bean Chili is Creamy and Satisfying!
- 2 cans or, 540 mls Black Beans
- 455 mls Green Mexican Sauce, Salsa Verde
- 2 medium Onion
- 7 Garlic cloves
- 1 Chicken Cube
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 can Can refried black beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 3 Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dry Oregano
- Fresh Jalepeno
- Cheddar Cheese
- Red Pepper
- If using the black beans from scratch: then start by rinsing them in cold water and then add to medium sized pot. Cover with 1 inch of water and add in the chopped onion, diced jalapeno pepper along with all the spices. Boil on medium heat till the beans are tender but not mushy, roughly 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the pot as you may need to add more water while its cooking. If using canned beans skip this step.
- Meanwhile in a large pot add the oil and saute the onions, and remaining vegetables for a few minutes. Then add in the jalapeno, green chili sauce, tomatoes and all the seasonings.
- Add in the cooked black beans, water, chicken cube and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Once cooked ladle into bowls and top with cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 21gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g