This Vietnamese Chicken Vermicelli Noodle Salad is made with cooked rice noodles and is filled with chopped fresh vegetables and a marinaded Chicken breast that is tolled with a homemade Vietnamese Salad Dressing also known as Nuoc Mam in Thai.
This Vietnamese Vermicelli Noodle Salad can be made with grilled shrimp or beef or even pork if desired as well. You can find a few of the other variations of this delicious salad bowl right here on my site. I made this recipe before, however the only difference was I added cucumber to the other recipe.
This one has extra lettuce in it. So really, you can use what you have on hand both work just as great.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am fully addicted to making these salad bowls at home AND often
Today, I put loads of lettuce, sliced carrots and cilantro in my salad. I did not have cucumbers however I will put those on if I did. So this time I loaded up on the chopped lettuce.
A healthy lean salad that is totally delicious!
VIETMANESE CHICKEN MARINADE
SEE RECIPE BELOW FOR MARINADE INGREDIANTS
WHAT IS IN A VERMICCILI SALAD
- Carrots, cucumbers, fresh herbs such as cilantro, shredded iceberg lettuce and a meat protein of your liking.
- Thai marinade and Vietnamese salad dressing
Feel free to add other veggies such as Beans sprouts, fresh herbs, jalapeno peppers.
WHAT IS VIETNAMES SALAD DRESSING
It is a traditional dressing that is used on almost every type of Vietnamese salad dish and the recipe can be found below. It serves very well over cold salads, that are then topped with a marinated then grilled meat protein of your liking.
VIETNAMESE SALAD DRESSING
Also know as “Nuoc Mam” sauce which is a sweet, salty, sour and spicy dressing. And contains the following ingredients
- garlic (minced)
- cold water
- lime (juiced)
- rice vinegar or white vinegar
- fish sauce
- 1 red or green Thai chilies
IS VIETNAMESE SALAD HEALTHY
Yes, it is packed full of fresh vegetables and herbs along with a lean protein such as chicken breasts.
Keep in mind though the soya sauce and fish sauce has a high sodium content so you may want to use a lighter soya sauce or less dressing on your salad.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! You can leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- CHICKEN MARINADE
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Low Sodium Soy sauce
- 2 stalks Lemongrass
- VIETNAMESE SERVING SAUCE / SALAD DRESSING
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 red chili (de-seeded and sliced, or substitute 2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes or Sriracha)
- RICE BOWLS
- Rice vermicelli noodles 1, 8-ounce package
- 1 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 English Cucumber, sliced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1/2 head Iceberg lettuce
TO MAKE THE VERMICELLI CHICKEN BOWLS: START BY MARINDING THE CHICKEN.
- Add all the chicken marinade ingredients and chicken breasts into a bowl and toss to coat. Place in the fridge in a sealable container from anywhere from 1 hour to 24. Note: the longer the chicken marinades the better it will taste.
TO MAKE THE SERVING SAUCE:
- Add all the serving sauce ingredients to a small bowl stir with a small whisk and set aside.
COOK THE VERMICELLI RICE NOODLES:
- Next bowl some water in a large pot
- Once the water is boiled pour it over a heatproof bowl that has the vermicelli noodles in it.
- Soak according to package instructions, then drain and rinse under cold water till cooled and set aside.
COOK THE MARINATED CHICKEN:
- In a large frying pan add 1 tbsp of oil and place the marinated chicken along with the sauce/lemongrass in and cook over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes till cooked throughout. Then remove the cooked chicken from the pan and allow it to cool down on a cutting board. Once cooled, slice into strips and set aside.
JULIEN AND SHRED THE VEGETABLES :
- Julienne the carrots, cucumber and shred the iceberg lettuce.
MAKING THE VERMICELLI CHICKEN RICE BOWLS:
- Place the cooled noodles into each bowl and then place the julienned carrots on top along with the cucumber and shredded lettuce. Drizzle 4 tbsp of "serving sauce " overtop of everything. Then place the sliced chicken breasts in the middle of the bowl. Serve the bowls with the remaining "serving sauce" on the side, cilantro, basil and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1501Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 211mgSodium: 8464mgCarbohydrates: 155gFiber: 13gSugar: 59gProtein: 91g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix