I don’t know why they call it Red Cabbage vs Purple Cabbage, it looks purple to me. How about you? In any event, it’s super delicious when sauteed.
Plus this vegetable is not only delicious it’s also a super food and important to eat, because of it’s disease fighting properties.
Along the immune boosting benefits that come from the Vitamin C and antioxidants, your sure to feel great when eating it.
Not to mention, the insoluble fiber that prevents constipation and lowers the risk of developing diverticular disease.
And other nutrients that prevent arthritis and osteoporosis.
If that is not more reason to incorporate this amazing vegetable into your diet more often, then I don’t know what is!
This dish can accompany just about any type of meal or can be enjoyed on it’s own.
The balsamic vinegar gives the cabbage a nice tang, along with the butter and olive oil that help to balance the flavors.
These two oils really add a nice element so be sure not so skip on them.
Some people like to add sugar to this particular dish, however I don’t. I find the balsamic vinegar once cooked off, gives a great flavor.
Really there is not much to it, besides chopping the head of cabbage in half and cutting each pieces diagonally into slices.
Then sauteing it all together in one pan on the stove top till tender, approx 15 minutes. We hope you give it a try, and let us know how it turned out for you.
Notes: You can omit the butter and just use olive oil to if desired. Also you can add 1 tbsp of sugar if your wanting a more sweet dish.
Learn more about the benefits of Red Cabbage here: Red Cabbage Benefits
Eat as much as you want, no guilt here!
MEAL PREP IDEA: Make this recipe along with my other recipe for “Oven Baked Lemon Chicken” and make a few super healthy meal preps for the week ahead.
I’m thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 Large Head Red cabbage
- 10 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Season with salt and pepper
- Start by washing your head of cabbage and possibly removing the first layer if it's getting old.
- Then on a cutting board, cut the head of cabbage directly in half.
- Then with your knife cut each halves, core out and discard. Slice each have diagonally as seen in the picture.
- In large frying pan, heat up the butter on medium high ading in your sliced red cabbage, and sauteing for 5 minutes.
- Next add in olive oil, balsamic vinegar salt and pepper and saute another 15 minutes or until the cabbage is well cooked. Serve as is or along any main course. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g