- 2 kg Pork shoulder/pork butt
- 1 Lime
- 1/2cup Orange Juice
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 tsp Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 chopped & seeds removed Jalapeno pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 large Onion
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1 large Avocado
- 1 tbsp Salt and pepper
These Pulled Pork Carnitas (Mexican Tacos) are so darn delicious, we make them at least once per month. The nice thing about mexican food is that you can make a lot of it in a short period of time, and feed allot of people or store it in your fridge in an airtight container up to 3 days and enjoy fresh tacos all throughout the week. Not to mention it’s super easy to make, all you are doing is a little prep that takes less than 5 minutes, you will start by searing the pork until it’s browned on all sides.
And then add all the ingredients listed here directly into the slow cooker to cook throughout the day. Then you simply will be coming home to just shred the pork and placing it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp it up.
Then you will be ready to have a feast fit for a Mexican Queen or King. I love the ingredients in this recipe, because everything tastes so fresh. Adding fresh lime juice along with a fresh orange juice really makes the flavors pop, so be sure not to skip them.
Also the addition of the the raw onions surprisingly work so well here too, trust me or I should say the Mexicans! So be sure not to skip on those very important ingredients. Serve this up with some avocados and you will have one great meal tonight. I hope you enjoy, ARRIBA MEXICO!
To make the Pulled Pork Carnitas (Mexican Tacos):
- Start by heating rinsing and pat drying the pork.
- Then heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in your slow cooker and sear your pork on all four sides, you can also cut your pork into four pieces if desired.
- Once lightly browned, turn off heat.
- In a bowl, place all your spices and then sprinkle this all over the pork.
- Place pork back in the slow cooker, fat side up and add in your chopped garlic, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Once tender, take the pork out (keep the remaining juices in the pot) and shred your pork on a cutting board with two forks.
- Add the pork back into the slow cooker and toss in the juices.
- Next place your pork on a large non stick baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining juices from the crock pot.
- Turn your oven on the *(broil setting) and broil on a large non stick baking sheet for 5 minutes, turn over your shredded pork and broil another 5 minutes till desired crispness.
- Serve warm in tortillas, and favorite toppings such as avocado, pico de gallo, onions etc
Lastly, make sure to broil the pork once it’s been shredded, this ensures the meat is crispy just like they serve in mexico. This shredded pork can be served in burritos, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas and or over rice.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!