These Easy Tilapia Fish Tacos are one of my all time favorite Mexican recipes.
Not only are they absolutely delicious! They take less than 15 minutes to make. I like to serve these tacos with all types of salsa, such as the one you see here for my Pico de gallo . Also you can serve it with my award winning Jalapeno Peach Salsa as seen below.
It’s that good guys, amo los tacos mexicanos! We make this in our house at least once a week.
Just make sure you have some either high quality fresh fillets or frozen always on hand and you can too.
ARE FISH TACOS HEALTHY
Yes, white fish is a lean protein then the taco shell itself is low in calories as well as the added ingredients and spices.
HOW TO MAKE TILAPIA FISH TACOS
- You can use a high quality frozen fish for this recipe. Otherwise fresh fillets are always my top choice.
- This type of fish can also be served in burritos, hard tacos or over rice with beans.
TYPE OF FISH TACOS
- You can also substitute the tilapia for another white fish such as halibut or cod.
- Shrimp too is also a popular option.
WHERE DID FISH TACOS ORIGINATE
In Baja, California. Some say that the roots come from Japanese immigrants that made there way to Mexico in the 1950s – 1960 who brought them in. Either way they this is a very MEXICAN recipe to most of us today!
TILAPIA FISH TACO SEASONING
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
These tasty tacos can be pulled together in less than 15 minutes.
Making for a super quick and tasty dinner option.
Just make sure to make the “pico de gallo” ahead of time.
But not to ahead of time as the tomatoes won’t be as fresh past a day!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TILAPIA
- Sour cream
WHAT IS PICO DE GALLO
These fish tacos are so darn delicious, pair them with fresh homemade “pico de gallo” and you can’t get a tastier or healthier fish tacos if you ask me.
It’s Mexican salsa y’all and it goes great with just about any type of Mexican food.
See below for the recipe!
Also don’t forget to squeeze some fresh lime juice over top the fish at the end.
This really helps the flavors to pop!
FISH TACOS FOR A CROWD
You can feed roughly 4 people with this recipe.
So if it’s just the two of you dining tonight then there certainly will be some leftovers.
If your wanting to feed more people, simply MAKE more by doubling the ingredients!
Super easy to prepare too, all you are doing is a little prep work that takes less than 15 minutes.
If your wanting to serve this with the same “pico de gallo” salsa you see in the picture here.
Be sure to make the salsa one hour ahead of time, as it’s best to let the salsa marinate which enhances it’s flavors.
Check out my two favorite recipes for Pico De Gallo you will serious love them!
- Pico De Gallo this goes great with these tacos.
- Cabbage Pico De Gallo this also goes great with these tacos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! You can leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
Looking for another way to make Fish Tacos? Try my Blackened Tilapia Fish Tacos
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tilapia Fillets
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- SERVE WITH
- 8 Warm flour or corn tortillas
- Pico De Gallo
- Lime, juice
- Start by rinsing and pat dry the fish fillets.
- Then in a small bowl add all the spices together and rub on all sides of the fish.
- In a large non stick skillet heat some cooking ou over medium heat then add the fish fillets. Fry on each side for 4 minutes till cooked.
- Remove from the heat, and with a fork gently flake apart.
- Season with a bit more salt to taste and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, heat a little bit more oil and fry the corn tortillas on both sides till browned.
- Spoon some "pico de gallo" salsa on top the tortilla shell or top with avocado, tomatoes, cilantro etc. Drizzle with a little lime juice, then serve. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1128Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 196gFiber: 8gSugar: 1gProtein: 60g