I just realised that I have not yet shared my recipe for homemade Pico De Gallo with you guys yet. This is a must try recipe for those who love salsa dips!
Made from chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeños peppers, lime juice and seasoned with salt. Traditionally white onions are used, however red go well too.
Pico De Gallo, in Spanish means ‘beak of a rooster’ and is believed to originate from the resemblance of the way a rooster pecks in his food to make it edible.
And the chopping of the ingredients which also prepares a very colorful salsa which resemble the colors of a rooster’s feathers.
You can adjust it to your taste, some people like to load up on Cilantro while others prefer just a little bit of it in the salsa.
My recipe calls for a fair amount, along with 1/2 of a Jalapeno pepper which gives it just the right amount of heat.
This salsa is very fresh and tastes 10x times better than any store bought kind.
So there really is no comparing it to any other type of salsa you may have tried.
I make this allot, I mean allot. Pretty much any time I make a Mexican themed dish, I will whip this up on the side.
Takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and stores great for leftovers the next day!
Thank you MEXICO for sharing this amazing recipe with the us. Buen provecho!
When making this simple salsa, make sure to drain most of the liquid out of your tomatoes otherwise it will become mushy to fast.
I recommend using roma tomatoes, that way there is no liquid to drain.
You can serve this with your favorite tortilla chips for a healthy snack or use it as a side or filling for your tacos, fajitas, burritos etc.
Looking for another Pico De Gallo Recipe? Try my “Cabbage Pico De Gallo” here.
These are some of the best Salsa in the WORLD!! I kid you not.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, I appreciate every single one of you! If you made this recipe i’d love to hear how it turned out. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 pepper Fresh Jalapeno
- 3/4 of the onion Red Onion
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1 lime Lime (juice)
- Season with salt and pepper
- Start by dicing your roma tomatoes, if your using regular tomatoes remove as much of the seeds as possible. Your wanting more of a dry salad as opposed to liquid. If your tomatoes are producing a lot of liquid, take a paper towel and remove as much liquid as possible then set aside.
- Dice the onion, press the garlic, and chop your cilantro and then place inside a large bowl. Then add in your chopped tomatoes, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir everything together to combine and allow it to marinade in the fridge anywhere from 1-2 hours.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips, tacos, fajitas burritos etc
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 44Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g