Want a little spice in your life? This “Portuguese Peri Peri Chicken” is sure to hit the spot. It’s not only super simple to make it’s also one of my favorite chicken recipes of all time!! ARIBA PORTUGAL!
Wanting another tasty portuguese recipe? Try this Portuguese Beer Chicken it is AMAZING!
IS PERI PERI CHICKEN SPICY
Yes, so if your not a fan of spicy foods then you probably want to skip this meal because it uses Bird’s eye chilies.
These types of chilies are very similar to the African red chillies that are sometimes also used in this dish.
With the combination of lemon and garlic among some other spices you are sure to have a taste of the best piri piri chicken to serve tonight.
WHAT’S PERI PERI CHICKEN
It contains a mixture of hot chili spices that work so well with this chicken.
If you want just a plain chicken with some paprika, lemon and garlic, which is good too, I guess. Then you can omit the bird’s eye chilies, but then it won’t be Peri Peri anymore.
Otherwise you can also buy a pre made peri peri sauce, like the one in the picture below and use that alone to make this recipe.
Also if you like the thought of having dinner served on the table in under one hour, then you’re going to be a fan of this recipe.
WHERE IS PERI PERI CHICKEN FROM
Originally it comes from Angola and Mozambique when Portuguese settlers arrived with chile peppers (known as piri-piri.
HOW TO MAKE PERI PERI CHICKEN AT HOME
- You want to start by maranding the whole chicken in a large ziplock bag for 24 hours in advance to help with infusing the flavors more.
- Peri peri chicken can be made in the oven or on a grill or bbq
IS PERI PERI CHICKEN HEALTHY
This chicken is super tasty and takes less than an hour to prepare!
Note: You can find these chilies at any Asian market or you can use any fresh red serrano chilies as a replacement. Please don’t mistake jalapeños for serrano peppers they are very different. Also you can buy a premade peri peri sauce and marinate your chicken in that.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe I would love to hear about it! Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
ANOTHER PORTUGESES CHICKEN RECIPE THAT I MAKE OFTEN IS BELOW!
- 3-4 pounds or 1 1/2 kg to 2kg Whole Chicken
- PIRI PIRI MARINADE
- 5-10 Bird's eye chiles
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper powder
- 1/4 cup Cold water
- 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary
- 3 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp Seasoning Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- Place all your marinade ingredients in food processor and blend everything together (bay leaf included). You can use anywhere from 5 to 10 whole bird's eye chilies depending on how spicy you like it. OR use a pre-made peri peri sauce.
- Wash your chicken off in the bottom of the sink, and pat dry with a few paper towels. Season with seasoning salt from front to back.
- Place your chicken pieces or whole in a large zip lock bag and add your grinded spices, pour 1/4 cup of water and shake to coat all the chicken. Marinade anywhere for 1-24 hours. I prefer to use the marinade as it saves me time, so I will leave that up to you. This is my favorite marinade!
- Finally, place your chicken in the bottom of your oval roaster and then coat pour the rest of the marinade sauce over the chicken and then pour whatever is remaining around the chicken. Bake in the oven covered at 425f for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and basted once more place the chicken back in the oven at 375 f uncovered for the remaining 15 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve with a side caesar or over rice. Enjoy
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1523Total Fat: 95gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 64gCholesterol: 440mgSodium: 2807mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 141g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix