20 oz Cubed Goat meat*bone in or out
6 cups Cold water
1 tbsp Scotch bonnet pepper sauce
1 cup Kalechopped finely
2 tbsp Chives
2 cubes Maggi cube seasoning
1 tsp Thyme
pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Dried Ginger
This African Pepper Goat Soup is hails from Western Africa, but mostly Nigeria. So if your into spicy foods then you are sure to love this soup recipe.
You can substitute the goat meat for lamb, chicken, fish, tripe and or chicken gizzards. All work well in this type of broth. I have tried all those meat’s and must say goat is my favorite by far, because it’s lean and has a very unique taste that I love.
I have learned to prepare several african dishes in my home over the years and have come to love the flavors from this part of the world. Now I want you to be forewarned that this is very spicy soup so feel free to add less spice if can’t handle much heat.
It is made with a few ingredients that are hard to find here in Canada and so I have made a few substitutes. The main differences with my soup recipe versus traditional african pepper soup is the type of pepper used.
Traditional pepper soup is made with a few ingredients that are hard to find here in Canada and so I have made a few substitutes. Like I will use Kale instead of the bitter leaf in the soup, it’s quite similar and more accessible here in Canada.
Then i’ll add some fresh chopped chives in replace of the onions as well, so good. The main differences with my pepper soup recipe versus traditional african pepper soup is the type of pepper used.
Traditional pepper soups call for aka chilli or negro pepper. Which is not always easy to find, so I use “Scotch Bonnet Sauce” since i always have that Jamaican sauce in my fridge at all times and it works so well here.
I will make this soup when i’m craving something warm and spicy!
Try to get your hands on the “original “Maggi beef cubes” if you cannot find feel free to use “Maggi Chicken cubes or another brand that you like.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear how it turned out! You can post a review/picture below or via Instagram and let me know. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
African Pepper Goat Soup
- 20 oz Cubed Goat meat
- 6 cups Cold water
- 1 tbsp Scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- 1 cup Kale
- 2 Garlic
- 2 tbsp Chives
- 2 cubes Maggi cube seasoning
- 1 tsp Thyme
- pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Dried Ginger
To make the Pepper Soup:
- Start by rinsing and washing the goat meat. It's best to use boneless goat meat however if you can't find bone in will work too.
- Then place all the spices in a small blender including the garlic and minse everything together.
- Next place 1 tbsp of cooking oil into a large stock pot and saute all the spices over medium heat for 2 minutes before adding in the 6 cups of water.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil then add in the goat meat and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes before adding in the maggi cubes, scotch bonnet sauce and kale/chives.
- Simmer all together for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender, serve and enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER