This Red Kidney Bean Curry also known as Rajma Masala is super simple to make and is also very tasty.
No wonder it’s so so popular amongst vegetarians not only in the Indian communities but beyond.
Made with Red Kidney beans and simmered in a rich tomato spiced sauce that you’re sure to love. You can prepare this dish all in one pot on the stove or in your slow cooker/pressure cooker.
I prepared this on the stovetop this time as I used canned kidney beans, so it was quick and easy for me.
Inspired by one of my favorite Indian Chefs Vahchef.
This dish is %100 Vegetarian but you would not know it, because it’s soooo GOOD!!
Once you try this recipe, you will be hooked.
And if you have a meat eating man or kids in the house who swear that Vegetarian food can’t be good. Just wait till they try this recipe!
This dish has a wonderful depth of smells and flavor that you’re sure to remember, kidney beans never tasted so good!
I have experimented with plenty of curries for some time now, so you can trust me when I say this recipe is a sure winner.
Now you will want to go down the ethnic food aisle in your local grocery to pick up some “Masala Curry” which is the right kind of powder that is really needed for this recipe.
Then you will add just a few more traditional indian spices that will make this dish absolutely amazing.
Also if your not to familiar with dried fenugreek leaves, then I encourage you taking a stroll down your groceries ethnic for those as well.
They are sure to have it there somewhere, however if you cannot find them feel free to use cilantro instead.
Who said it takes a chef to make real indian curry? Obviously never was in your kitchen.
- Simmer on a low-medium heat for 1 hour on the stovetop
- Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
Inspired by: VahChef
Be sure to make some basmati rice to serve alongside or if you really want to make it extra special go ahead and make some homemade Naan Bread.
If you liked this dish, then be sure to check out my recipe for Coconut Curry Chicken
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! You can leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Onion
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger Root
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Passata italian tomato sauce
- 2 cups Red Kidney Bean
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- Start by soaking the Red Kidney beans overnight or use canned the day of.
- In a large pot add the oil and butter along with the chopped onion and ground garam masala powder.
- Fry for one minute before adding in the fresh ginger and garlic paste along with the chili powder and cook on low heat another 3 minutes till fragrant.
- Add in the passata sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the Kidney Beans and remaining seasonings.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and serve over Jasmine rice!
Season with fresh fenugreek leaves and cilantro!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 18gSugar: 10gProtein: 21g