This Authentic Vietnamese Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Vermicelli Salad is super healthy and easy to make. The hardest part is dicing the vegetables the noodle/rice part takes no time and the chicken is simply marinaded prior then grilled and placed over the fresh salad to serve.
Vietnamese lemongrass chicken is a tasty dish made enticingly fragrant with lemongrass and savory spices. And is one of my all time favorite salads, I make this type of salad all summer long and have a few variations of it on this blog.
It is such a great salad to try if you are looking to add an exotic flavor to your dinner table.
Traditionally peanuts are added to this dish, I choose not too as I’m not a peanut fan.
What is Lemongrass?
Lemongrass has a citrus and lemon flavor, with a hint of mint. And is very popular in Thai cooking!
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Vermicelli Salad
Starts by marinating chicken breasts in the fridge the night prior or a min of 1 hour if your short on time.
LEMONGRASS CHICKEN MARINADE
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
WHAT IS IN A VERMICCILI SALAD
- Carrots, cucumbers, fresh herbs such as cilantro, shredded iceberg lettuce and a meat protein of your liking.
- Thai marinade and Vietnamese salad dressing
A SALAD FOR TODDLERS
My toddler loves, I mean loves this recipe so much he eats it entirely!!
WHAT IS VIETNAMES SALAD DRESSING
It is a traditional dressing that is used on almost every type of Vietnamese salad dish and the recipe can be found below. It serves very well over cold salads, that are then topped with a marinated then grilled meat protein of your liking.
VIETNAMESE SALAD DRESSING
Also know as “Nuoc Mam” sauce which is a sweet, salty, sour and spicy dressing. And contains the following ingredients
- garlic (minced)
- cold water
- lime (juiced)
- rice vinegar or white vinegar
- fish sauce
- 1 red or green Thai chilies
IS VIETNAMESE SALAD HEALTHY
Yes, it is packed full of fresh vegetables and herbs along with a lean protein such as chicken breasts.
Keep in mind though the soya sauce and fish sauce has a high sodium content so you may want to use a lighter soya sauce or less dressing on your salad.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! You can leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- CHICKEN MARINADE
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Low Sodium Soy sauce
- 2 stalks Lemongrass
- VIETNAMESE SERVING SAUCE / SALAD DRESSING
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 red chili (de-seeded and sliced, or substitute 2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes or Sriracha)
- RICE BOWLS
- Rice vermicelli noodles 1, 8-ounce package
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced and diced
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
TO MAKE THE VERMICELLI CHICKEN BOWLS: START BY MARINDING THE CHICKEN.
- Add all the chicken marinade ingredients and chicken breasts into a bowl and toss to coat. Place in the fridge in a sealable container from anywhere from 1 hour to 24. Note: the longer the chicken marinades the better it will taste.
TO MAKE THE SERVING SAUCE:
- Add all the serving sauce ingredients to a small bowl stir with a small whisk and set aside.
COOK THE VERMICELLI RICE NOODLES:
- Next bowl some water in a large pot
- Once the water is boiled pour it over a heatproof bowl that has the vermicelli noodles in it.
- Soak according to package instructions, then drain and rinse under cold water till cooled and set aside.
COOK THE MARINATED CHICKEN:
- In a large frying pan add 1 tbsp of oil and place the marinated chicken along with the sauce/lemongrass in and cook over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes till cooked throughout. Then remove the cooked chicken from the pan and allow it to cool down on a cutting board. Once cooled, slice into strips and set aside.
JULIEN AND SHRED THE VEGETABLES :
- Julienne the carrots, cucumber and shred the iceberg lettuce.
MAKING THE VERMICELLI CHICKEN RICE BOWLS:
- Place the cooled noodles into each bowl and then place the julienned carrots on top along with the cucumber and shredded lettuce. Drizzle 4 tbsp of "serving sauce " overtop of everything. Then place the sliced chicken breasts in the middle of the bowl. Serve the bowls with the remaining "serving sauce" on the side, cilantro, basil and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Using a grilling pan creates the grill marks unless you want to use the BBQ that works great too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1506Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 211mgSodium: 8479mgCarbohydrates: 156gFiber: 15gSugar: 60gProtein: 92g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix