1 1/2 cups Wild Rice Mix
1 large Onion
1 cup chopped Fresh Mushrooms
1 chopped Green Pepper
1 cup Cold Milk
1 tbsp Flour
2 cans Canned Tuna
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
tbsp Butter melted
2 cans Condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tbsp Salt and pepper (to taste)or soya sauce
1/2 tsp Cayenne
The wild rice gives this traditional recipe something different from the average noodle and white rice recipes you will find out there. This dish is very satisfying, both as a side or a main dish.
You can prepare this dish with chicken, turkey or hamburger as well or make vegetarian, all four ways are amazing. However it’s best made with a good quality wild rice mixture, the more natural the better since these types of rice blends contains many nutrients that other processed rice would not.
The panko crumbs and cheese topping give it that nice crunch so do not skip that combination.
I like to use my dutch oven for this recipe, if you do not have a dutch oven then feel free to use a sauteing pan and then a casserole dish once it ready to go into the oven. Some people like to add grated cheese over top before baking, i don’t. And that is because i prefer the earthy taste of the dish, I encourage you to try it this way = delicious.
Our family’s favorite wild rice blend comes from Costco
If you end up giving this a give it a try, I would love to know how you liked it. Bon Appetit!
Note: Instead of green peppers add, celery or peas.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 1 1/2 cups Wild Rice Mix
- 1 large Onion
- 1 cup chopped Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 chopped Green Pepper
- 1 cup Cold Milk
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 cans Canned Tuna
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- tbsp Butter melted
- 2 cans Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
To make the Wild Rice Tuna Casserole:
- Start by washing your “WILD RICE MIXTURE” in a colander, and place into warm water on the counter for one hour (covered) this allows it to tenderize.
- Now melt your butter in a large frying pan and then add your mushrooms and onions, and sauté until caramelized. Add green peppers and saute another 5 minutes till soft.
- In a small bowl whisk your milk and then slowly pour into your pan with the onions and mushrooms.
- Whisk in 1 tbsp of flour till combined then add your canned tuna including the tuna juices, and then your pre soaked rice.
- Season with (soya sauce) optional or salt and pepper.
- Toss bread crumbs with butter and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
PIN IT FOR LATER