3 tbsp Tom Yum Paste
8 Kaffir lime leaves
1 can Full fat coconut milk
4 cups ( 1L) No Sodium (Vegtable stock)
1 cup Baby tomatoes
5 cups whole mushrooms Fresh Mushrooms
5 tbsp Fish Sauce
For Heat, use either
1 tsp Minced Red Chili Paste
1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro
This Vegan Mushroom & Tomato Thai Soup (Tom Yum Hed) is absolutely delicious and is a popular soup that can be found on the menu in many Thai restaurants.
The first time I tried the vegan version of Tom Yum soup, was while on vacation a few years back. We stopped at a little Thai Restaurants along the way to our final destination, trusting that the amazing reviews we read online would lead us to an amazing place. Plus it’s very easy to make at home and not expensive at all, so whenever I have mushrooms in the house, this is one of those go to recipes for me. My mouth is watering already, because it’s due time for another bowl.
We ordered a soup similar to this and the moment we got home, and from there I spend days in the kitchen trying to replicate it. Thom Kha Hed is a vegetarian soup made with mushrooms as opposed to chicken or seafood.
And trust me it’s just as good as any non vegetarian thai soup out there, since it’s packed with all those same hot and sour notes within a creamy coconut broth. You can leave the mushrooms whole like I do or slice them.
The more red chilli or chili paste you add to the soup the hotter the soup will be. For this recipe we are making it mild and really allowing the other flavors to shine. So if you’re wanting to keep this soup vegetarian through and through then you will want to use vegetables stock opposed to chicken stock.
I have tried it both ways and it’s absolutely delicious either way. With all the instant Tom Yum pastes available at the grocery store today, it may give you the idea that making this soup from scratch is difficult but it’s not.
There just is some ingredients you may need to seek outside your local grocer, such as Lemongrass”, “Galangal” and “Kaffir lime leaves” along with “Thai Bird’s Eye Chilies” which can be found in most Asian grocery stores.
However if you want to make it the easiest way possible simply purchase the pre made “Tom Yum Soup Paste” and “Minced Red Chili paste” which I use and that can be found in almost all Supermarkets today. As long as you have all the ingredients on hand, it’s pretty simple dish and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare.
Either way I will give you instructions on how to prepare it both ways. I keep most my Thai ingredients frozen on the top shelf of my freezer, this way it keeps for months and it’s always there ready for the next time I’m in the mood for Thai food.
We hope you give this recipe a try, if you like traditional tom yum soup you are sure to love this one. Until next time see you in the kitchen.
- Add in the lime last, you do not want to cook the lime because it will ruin the flavor.
- “Lemongrass”, “Galangal” and “Kaffir lime leaves” and “Thai Bird’s Eye Chilies” can be found in most Asian grocery “Tom Yum Soup Paste” can be found in most Supermarkets.
- To save money: Buy your “Lemongrass”, “Galangal” and “Kaffir lime leaves” in frozen packs that my Asian grocery carries. This lasts much longer, and enables me to make many different Thai dishes before I need to restock. And do not eat the “Lemongrass”, “Galangal” and “Kaffir lime leaves” there just for flavouring
- Want more heat, simply add in more Bird’s Eye Chilies or Red Chili Paste. Caution when preparing Bird’s Eye Chilies, these chilies are very hot and can burn the eyes.
Vegan Mushroom & Tomato Thai Soup
- 3 tbsp Tom Yum Paste
- 4 Lemongrass
- 8 Kaffir lime leaves
- 5 Galangal
- 1 can Full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups 1L No Sodium (Vegetable stock)
- 1 cup Baby tomatoes
- 5 cups whole mushrooms Fresh Mushrooms
- 5 tbsp Fish Sauce
FOR HEAT, USE EITHER
- 1 tsp Minced Red Chili Paste
- 1 Lime
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro
START WITH STEP 1 USE OR USE THE PRE MADE "TOM YUM PASTE" AND SKIP STEP 1.
- To make the paste yourself, start by tearing the "Kaffir lime leaves" in half to release their flavor. Then slice the bottoms of the lemongrass stalk off and peel away any dried outer layers. Then smash with a rolling pin to soften the stalk which will release the flavors. Cut open your "Thai Bird's Eye Chilies" (wear gloves as there hot) and remove the seeds, or use "Red Thai Chili Paste" in replace of. And then also tear the "Kaffir lime leaves" in half to release their flavor too, and set to the side.
FOR THE MUSHROOM & TOMATO THAI SOUP (TOM YUM HED): Start by simmering your Vegetable Stock on medium low heat.
- Add in 2 1/2 tbsp of "Tom Yum Paste" or add in your bruised "kaffir limes leaves, lemongrass and galangal slices" and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes (never allowing it to boil) until the liquid is infused with all those delicious Thai flavors. If using the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal slices and discard before the next step.
- Add in the can of Coconut milk along with the mushrooms, and baby tomatoes.
- Then simmer on medium heat for roughly 10 minutes till mushrooms are tender.
- Lastly add in half of a "Red Thai Chili or 1/2 tsp of the Chili Paste" and stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately
PIN IT FOR LATER