3 Chipotles in adobo sauce
2 lbs Lean ground turkey
2 cups White Northern Beans
1 cup Pumpkin puree
1 tsp Cooking oil
2 cups Chicken Broth (Salted)
1 can Large Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 can (4.5 oz) green chilies
1 tsp or 1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Salt and pepper (to taste)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tbsp Dry Oregano
The colder weather calls for cozy food and what better way to warm up then with a hot bowl of Turkey Pumpkin Chili.
I like to make chilis in the colder months, typically in large batches to help feed and fuel us for a couple of days in a healthy way. The pumpkin puree in this chili helps to create a creamy satisfying texture that sure warms the soul.
Now this is not a sweet chili like some may think, that is because we are adding green chiles along with chipotles in adobo sauce to this chili to spice it up.
You can make this with leftover turkey meat or with premade ground turkey like I did for this recipe, or even go vegetarian and use a substitute if you’d like. Either way with the Northern beans in this chili you are sure to get you just the right amount of protein and fiber to suit any diet.
Just make sure you are soaking your beans ahead of time, the night before preferably and then you can make a big batch of this amazing chili to last you and your loved ones throughout the week or store in the freezer for another time. Top with sour cream if desired, enjoy!
Indie says, don’t forget the Chipotles in adobo sauce they really helped to kick it up a notch.
Note: If you cannot acquire the chipotles which come in a can “see picture” below. Then just add 1 tbsp of chili powder instead.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 Onions
- 3 Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 lbs Lean ground turkey
- 2 cups White Northern Beans
- 1 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp Cooking oil
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, Salted
- 1 can Large Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can, 4.5 oz green chilies
- 1 tsp or 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Dry Oregano
How to make the Turkey Pumpkin Chili:
- Start SOAKING the beans the day prior.
- Then the day of chop up your onion, garlic, and adobo peppers.
- In a large pot saute your onions in 1 tbsp of oil till translucent, add in your adobe peppers then garlic and saute another 2 minutes till slightly tender.
- Next add your ground turkey to the same pot and saute till lightly browned.
- Pour in 2 cups of soft northern beans and tomatoes and simmer on medium low heat.
- Add in all your spices and season with salt and pepper
- Pour in the chicken stock cube.
- Simmer on medium – low stirring often for 1 1/2 hours.
- Or in your Crock Pot – on low 8-9 hours
- Remove bay leaves, and serve with fresh bread or cornbread, enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER