This Traditional Bolognese Recipe is a versatile sauce that can be served over any type of pasta.
Some Bolognese recipes call for the addition of chopped carrots or celery.
Personally, I do not use it! So this recipe omits that addition, however if you want to add it. Simply chop finely one carrot and 2 celery stocks and sauté them along with the onions.
WHEN WAS BOLOGNESE INVENTED
Bolognese served with pasta comes from late 18th century near Bologna, from Alberto Alvisi.
HOW LONG WILL BOLOGNESE LAST IN THE FRIDGE
If it is stored in an air tight container up to 3 days.
WHAT IS BOLOGNESE
Bolognese Sauce is an rich meat based typically beef tomato sauce that originates from Italy.
It is made Beef (hamburger) or pork, onions, garlic, pureed tomatoes, red wine or beef broth, parmesan cheese and whole milk or whipping cream which makes for an delicious Bolognese sauce.
I omitted the celery and carrots. Which is used in Authentic Bolognese, however something I do not prefer in mine.
WHAT PASTA FOR BOLOGONESE SAUCE
You can use just about any pasta for this sauce, I really like Pappardelle as it soaks up all the sauce very nicely.
Other pasta Dishes you will love
- Chicken Pesto Ravioli
- Creamy parmesan chicken and scallop pasta
- Mushroom Goat Cheese Ravioli
- Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
- Smoked Salmon Gnocchi
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or beef pork mix
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 bottle of passata sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt n pepper to taste
- Cook onion in oil over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground hamburger then brown then drain any excess fat. Add wine and simmer until evaporated. Next add the passata sauce, tomato paste and all the seasoning / bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes then stir in the whole milk and parmesan cheese,
- Uncover and cook till it thickens up.
- Meanwhile, cook any pasta according to package directions.
- Toss pasta with sauce adding pasta water to thin out if needed.
- Serve hot with fresh parmesan cheese.
Sugar adds a hint of sweetness or omit for red pepper flakes for heat instead if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 812Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 951mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 65g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix