This Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder Recipe is super simple to make and takes just 10 minutes of prep time. And would make a perfect recipe for Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving.
It is also made with just a few simple ingredients: that being fresh sage, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, salt and pepper and a olive oil.
The shoulder is then placed into one oven safe pot and then is baked slowly for three hours.
You can also prepare this in your slow cooker as well and pressure if you so desire.
Either way it will come out moist, tender and absolutely delicious!
This recipe is something special, so if you have never tried lamb shoulder before.
Then this fool proof recipe is sure to impress you.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ROAST LAMB
I like to serve this meal with some mashed potatoes and gravy (which is made with the lamb sauce) and a salad.
Also you can serve it with a salad of your liking.
Let the oven do the work, while you do whatever else it is you need to do for the day/evening.
But please for the love of GOD do not leave the house with the oven on.
This results in way to many house fires each year and I do not want to be responsible for that.
HOW TO COOK LAMB SHOULDER IN THE OVEN
It is REAL easy, since everything is down in one pot.
- Basically all your going to have to do is spend less than 5 minutes seasoning it.
- Then you will want to cover it with a oven safe lid, or if you want you can use tinfoil as well.
- Just make sure their is a gab to allow the air to circulate around the lamb.
HOW TO COOK LAMB IN A SLOW COOKER
- You will make it the exact same way as you would in the oven.
- Except you will want to cook it longer, since it is really slow cooking in the crock pot.
- Anywhere from 8-10 hours would be ideal.
HOW MUCH LAMB SHOULDER PER PERSON
I would say one lamb shoulder the size of 2.25kg should serve 6-8 people which is better lamb shoulder or leg
WHICH IS BETTER LAMB SHOULDER OR LEG
This is all about personal preference, if you ask me. I like both and have shared both of my favorite recipes on this blog. If you’re looking for an excellent lamb leg recipe: Check out my
WHAT TEMPERATURE FOR LAMB SHOULDER
Great Question: Lamb should be cooked to 145 °F (medium rare), 160 °F (medium), or 170 °F (well done). For approximate cooking times for use in meal planning, see the following chart compiled from various resources. Times are based on lamb at refrigerator temperature (40 °F). Safe Cooking Temperatures for Lamb
Want another DELICIOUS LAMB RECIPE? Try my Rosemary Lamb Shanks with Lemon Potatoes
ARE ROASTED LAMB BONES SAFE FOR DOGS
It is not recommended to give any dog cooked bones of any kind. They can splitter and be a choking hazard. I like to give my dogs raw chicken and beef bones though. These can be found at your local butcher or at a raw feed dog food store.
However you can use the BONE for an AMAZING SOUP STOCK!
And make this delicious soup with it Best Beef Barley Soup Recipe
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this, I want to see! Follow Canadian Cooking Adventures Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @canadiancookingadventures and #canadiancookingadventures.
Looking for an AWESOME Mash Potato recipe?
Here is more SIDE DISH recipes you may like:
- Brussel Sprouts with bacon
- Butter Herb & Parmesan Mushrooms
- Turkey Pot Pies
- Creamy Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Mustard Brussel Sprouts
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic
Also check out my roundup of Thanksgiving & Christmas Recipes from around the World or my 10 delicious stuffing recipes! for more inspiration!
- 1.8 Lamb lamb shoulder (bone in)
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 2 tbsp of flour
- Preheat oven to 400 f
- Meanwhile in a large pot add (half) of the spice (rosemary & sage) along with the whole garlic heads.
- Remove meat from the packaging and with a large knife, make slits all around to allow the olive oil to penetrate.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and place on top of the spices and garlic.
- Place lamb shoulder fat side up and season with garlic salt and remaining spices.
- Then Drizzle olive oil all over the meat!
- Place a piece of tinfoil on top of the baking dish or oven safe lid .
- Turn the oven down to 300 f and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- The lamb should now be fall off the bone tender, enjoy!
- Making the gravy: add 1 cup of beef stock to the pot and scrape off any drippings and simmer on a low heat. Ad in slowly 2 tbsp of flour and stir to combine. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 9g