- To make the White Sauce
- 2 Lobster tails
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Cold Milk
To make the Macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups Macaroni
- 2 cups Old Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Dijion Mustard
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsbp Worcestershire sauce
To make the Bread Crumb topping
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- Kosher Saltto taste
This is such a delicious and comforting meal for two. I had something similar at a restaurant last year and had to make it for myself. This is sophisticated version of the old fashioned macaroni and cheese that you may be familiar with. So why not treat yourself and someone special, to a warm bowl of mac and cheese, infused with some grilled lobster.
To prepare the Lobster and Macaroni
- Start buy cutting your lobster down the middle and then directly in half so you can remove the meat and use the tales in the dish.
- Cook your macaroni according to the instructions, rinse and drain once cooked.
Prepare your White sauce:
- On low heat, place your sliced in “half lobsters” with the meat still inside in a cast iron skillet. Allow them to cook for a few minutes on each side, and remove from heat before they are fully cooked and set aside.
- Allow the lobster to cool, and remove the meat with your thumbs and set the shells aside (to be cooked later with the pasta)
- In the same skillet melt your butter on medium to low heat and slowly add in your flour stirring constantly.
- Be careful not to burn your flour, watch to make sure the FLOUR is becoming a light brown color, still continuing to stir constantly. This may take 5 minutes or more. If this is not done properly you will either have under cooked flour or you will burn it.
- Once the butter and flour has retched a light brown color, and your sauce has cooled for 5 minutes slowly add in your “COLD” milk and stir till combined. Next, turn down the burner to low heat and add in your thyme, old bay seasoning and nutmeg into the white sauce and whisk it all together for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Then your Worcestershire sauce, some salt and continue stirring for 5 minutes. Time to add in your “Old Shredded Cheddar Cheese” a bit at a time while stirring it over a low heat until the cheese melts into the white sauce. Now add 1/2 tsp of your Dijon Mustard and let it sit to combine.
Baking the Macaroni and Cheese:
- Now add your lobster shells to the boiling water and cook your paste, once cooked drain it off (keep the shells for baking in the oven)
- And in your pre cooked macaroni to cast iron skillet (add a few drops of water so its not to dry) and toss to coat with the old cheddar cheese and lobster meat. Add salt and pepper if needed, taste as you go.
- Now is the time to add in those lobster shells, place around the outside of the skillet (for presentation) and sprinkle your Panko breadcrumbs mixture all over the top and season with salt and pepper, once more.
- Bake at 4oo degrees for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack or until golden brown.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!