If you are a meat and potatoes kind of person, your sure going to love this Sausage Tomato Casserole with potatoes.
This is a dish my mother used to make a lot and is one of my favorite ways to eat Chorizo Sausage.
What is a Chorizo Sausage? basically it is a sausage that has some spice to it!
As you may know I prefer my food to be more on the spicy side that sweet, so for this recipe I tend to use a spicy sausage.
However, if you want a less spicy sausage you can choose your favorite kind.
I will also add some red pepper chili flakes to the recipe, in moderation. So you can adjust according to your taste here.
Still with the spicy sausage and red pepper flakes, I could make it even hotter but for this recipe I will keep it medium/hot 🙂
If you love extra spicy dishes too, simple add another pinch of chili pepper flakes to the ingredients listed.
Also. this dish can be baked in the oven like I choose to do this time or you can toss everything into your slow cooker and leave it in there for the day.
Totally up to you!
Super soft potatoes, full of flavor = delicious!
I have been ask before, if it’s okay to use large potatoes? The answer is of course!
However I would recommend peeling them prior as the skins tend to be thick and won’t allow for mashing as easily with a fork.
That is the best part if you ask me, because it allows the potatoes to soak up all those delicious juices.
Do you have more baby potatoes in the house? Here is another great recipe to utilize those babies 🙂 Baked Mini Potatoes
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 2 cups Baby potatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 794 grams Can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Water
- 4 Large Mild Chorizo Sausage
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley leaves
- 2 Large Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 f. Then wash the baby potatoes before placing them into the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Next chop your onion into lengthwise pieces then half those pieces, scattering over the potatoes then drizzle with olive oil.
- In a measuring add 1/4 cup of water along with the worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar along with all the spices.
- Place 2 bay leaves into the baking dish with the potatoes and onions, and pour all the ingredients from the measuring cup overtop.
- Then sprinkle sugar overtop.
- Open a large can of tomatoes and pour overtop, then top with the four sausages.
- Cover the baking dish with "Tin Foil" and bake at 400F for 45 minutes.
- At the 45 min mark, take out the casserole and remove the sausages only to slice into bite sized pieces.
- Then in a small bowl add 2 tbsp of flour and 1/2 cup of the sauce from the baking pan. Whisk till blended then add back to the pan with the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Add back in the sausages and allow it to bake again with the cover off for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can always use any large potato of your liking. Just be sure to peel those potatoes as that would work much better for this type of recipe.