This Baked Italian Sausage is super simple to make and makes for an excellent inexpensive weeknight meal.
I sometimes, make a dish similar to this and bake it in the oven. I have shared that recipe below with you and on this bog. So you can decide what recipe works best for your family tonight.
This recipe can also be done in your slow cooker, just make sure your browsing the sausage and onions first. Then set it and forget it!
HOW TO MAKE BAKED ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- You will want to start by slicing the potatoes real thin, the thinner the better. We are going for a scalloped potato type dish. Then saute those potatoes in the tomato and beef stock till tender, along with all the other ingredients.
A real one pot/pan dish!
This recipe is slightly different that my other sausage potato baked recipe, in that we are scalping the potatoes here and adding in a secret ingredient.
This dish is simple to make as their is just a few simple ingredients to it… so follow along and you too can enjoy this delicious meal in your home tonight.
Scalloping the potatoes, really help to soak up all those delicious pork flavors and helps this dish to cook quick.
So what is the “Secret Ingredient” that I have used in this recipe? It is Italian Sausage tomato sauce from my local grocery.
Yup that sauce along with some beef stock, helps to cook the potatoes and peppers just right. But of course you can use just about any sauce for this dish!
It also cooks quicker and really works well for a stove top recipe. There also is sauteed onions and red peppers in this dish, making it a whole meal.
Also, I like to add red pepper chili flakes to the recipe, in moderation of course. So you can adjust according to your taste with this ingredient.
Make sure your adding in a good quality “beef stock” as well. It really helps the potatoes to soak up all those amazingly delicious juices.
Looking for more Sausage recipes? Check out some of my popular ones below!
- Sauteed Cabbage and Sausage
- Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
- Parmesan Tortellini Kale Sausage Soup
- Creamy Spinach Sausage Gnocchi
- Farmer Sausage Skillet with Perogies
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe I’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 5 Italian Sausages
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 4 Large potatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 Large Red Peppers, diced
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 1 bottle of Sausage Tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup of Beef stock
- 1 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the sausage to a non stick frying pan and saute till lightly browned
- Then remove the sausage and add in the butter, onions and red peppers and saute till soft.
- Add in the scalloped potatoes, sausage tomato sauce, worcheshire sauce, seasonings and beef stock.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1236mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 8gSugar: 10gProtein: 22g