These Quick Carnitas Recipe are a cheap weeknight meal that can feed a crowd!
I love making this recipe, you can either simmer it all day in your slow cooker or prepare it in less than 20 minutes in your pressure cooker.
What kind of meat is use for Carnitas?
Carnitas is the Mexican version of pulled pork. It’s traditionally made with pork shoulder or pork butt. This piece of meat contains more fat and helps it to stay juicy!
How to make Pork Carnitas in pressure cooker?
You will start by searing the pork until it’s browned on all sides, then you will add all the ingredients listed here directly into the slow cooker. Allowing it to cook throughout the day or you can cook it in under 20 minutes in the pressure cooker.
Can’t get simpler than this, once it’s cooked you will take two forks and shred the pork on a cutting board before serving over rice or in a taco.
Then you will be ready to have a feast fit for a Mexican Queen or King.
I love the ingredients in this recipe, because everything tastes so fresh. Adding fresh lime juice along with a fresh orange juice really makes the flavors pop, so be sure not to skip them.
Also the addition of the the raw onions surprisingly work so well here too, trust me or I should say the Mexicans!
So be sure not to skip on those very important ingredients. Serve this up with some avocados and you will have one great meal tonight. I hope you enjoy, ARRIBA MEXICO!
Looking for an awesome recipe for Mexican Salsa?
- Check out my recipe for Pico De Gallo this goes great with these Carnitas also.
- Or my Cabbage Pico De Gallo recipe
Notes: Make sure to broil the pork once it’s been shredded, this ensures the meat is crispy just like they serve in mexico. This shredded pork can be served in burritos, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas and or over rice.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ★
- 2 kg Pork shoulder/pork butt
- 1 lime Lime
- 1/2 cup Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Jalapeno pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 4 tbsp Cilantro
- Start by heating rinsing and pat drying the pork. Then heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in your slow cooker and sear your pork on all four sides, you can also cut your pork into four pieces if desired. Once the pork has turned lightly browned, turn the heat off.
- In a bowl, place all your spices and then sprinkle this all over the pork.
- Place pork back in the slow cooker, fat side up and add in your chopped garlic, jalapeno, lime juice and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Or place in the Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot according to your devices instructions.
- Once tender, take the pork out (keep the remaining juices in the pot) and shred your pork on a cutting board with two forks.
- Add the pork back into the slow cooker and toss in the juices.
- Serve over rice or in a warm tortilla with cilantro. Enjoy!