Penne Bolognese is one of my favorite pasta recipes and is very much an Italian favorite!
WHAT IS BOLOGNESE
Bolognese Sauce is an rich “meat tomato sauce” that was perfected originally by the Italians.
It is made with onions, garlic, beef (hamburger) or pork, pureed tomatoes, red wine or beef broth, parmesan cheese and whole milk which makes for an delicious Bolognese sauce.
I omitted the celery and carrots. Which is used in Authentic Bolognese, however something I do not prefer in mine.
Some recipes call for the addition of chopped carrots or celery. Personally I do not use it! And is always served over pasta.
HOW LONG WILL BOLOGNESE LAST IN THE FRIDGE
If it is stored in an air tight container up to 3 days.
There is no secrets ingredients of any kind to make this sauce, it just takes a little time to make as you are to simmer it on the stovetop for one hour.
BOLOGONESE WHICH MEAT
The Italians use a mixture of beef, pork and lamb.
You can use either or just Ground Hamburger like I have here.
WHY IS BOLOGNESE CALLED BOLOGNESE
Bolognese is actually Ragu and means any meat sauce cooked over low heat for hours on the stovetop. Ragu has many ingredients in it and varies from region to region in Italy.
Other pasta Dishes you will love
- Chicken Pesto Ravioli
- Creamy parmesan chicken and scallop pasta
- Mushroom Goat Cheese Ravioli
- Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
- Smoked Salmon Gnocchi
- 1 lb Penne pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or beef pork mix
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 bottle of passata sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt n pepper to taste
- Cook onion in oil over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground hamburger then brown then drain any excess fat. Add wine and simmer until evaporated. Next add the passata sauce, tomato paste and all the seasoning / bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes then stir in the whole milk and parmesan cheese,
- Uncover and cook till it thickens up.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Toss pasta with sauce adding pasta water to thin out if needed.
- Serve hot with fresh parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 991Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 952mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 71g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix