3 cups Vegetable oil (for frying)
7 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup Water
1 tbsp Rice vinegar
1 Star anise
4 Dried whole red chiliesor 1 tbsp of flakes
1 tbsp Soya sauce
1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
4 tbsp Honey
Orange Chicken has a combination between sour and sweet flavors. The rice vinegar gives it the tang, while the honey gives it the sweetness.
Orange Chicken tso’s has some heat to it from the addition of the red chilies, typically we make the spicer version of this dish since we like a like a little heat. You probably have tried this before as its pretty popular in many Asian restaurants across North America.
Typically in the restaurants it’s made with boneless chicken breasts and mixed with onions, red peppers or other vegetables. Today I’m making it with boneless chicken thighs, since this is what we have on hand.
Keep in mind Orange Chicken tso’s is slightly spicier than regular Orange Chicken. If you prefer no spice to this dish, simply omit the chilies.
Notes: You can use fresh oranges if you prefer that to orange juice in this recipe.
OR if you want to buy the Orange Sauce, which is not as healthy but just as good. I would recommend this brand, LEE KUM KEE it tastes most authentic!
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe id love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
- 7 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 Star anise
- 4 Dried whole red chilies
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
- 4 tbsp Honey
- Green Onions
- To make the Orange Chicken: Take two mixing bowls, and add your flour to one, and beaten eggs along with a few pinches of salt to the other.
- Add your cleaned chicken into the egg bowl and then shake off and add it into the flour bowl. Repeat till all the chicken is coated, and then add your breaded chicken into your vegetable oil to fry.
- Deep fry your chicken in 3 cups of vegetable oil in batches in a deep pot or wok. (Do not leave it alone, this is how fires start.)
- Making sure it retches to 375 f for about 10-15 minutes till golden brown. Set aside on a plate and drain over a paper towel.
- Over medium heat add in star anise, garlic, ginger, dried whole red chilies or 1 tbsp of red chili flakes to your pan and heat for 2 minutes to release the flavors.
- Next add in orange juice, honey, rice vinegar, cornstarch, soy sauce and bring together. Bring to high heat and then reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and slowly add to the mixture, stir to dissolved.
- Add back in the deep-fried chicken, and coat it with all that sauce.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, till it gets nice and crispy.
- Serve with rice on the side, enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER