1/2 cup Cooking oil
1 large Onion
4 cloves Garlicminced
1 tbsp Gingerminced
3 large Chicken Breasts
1 1/2 cups Cold water
1 can Chickpeas
754 grams Whole canned tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato paste
1 cup Sour Cream (Full fat)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 tbsp Gram Masala
1 tbsp Madras Curry Powder
1 tsp Cayenne
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
I’m back with another skip the takeout inspired dish. This One Pot Chicken Chickpea Curry has a wonderful depth of smells and flavor. Your neighbours are going to be wondering who is cooking for sure.
Made with boneless chicken breast and simmered in a rich tomato spiced cream sauce that you’re sure to love. You can prepare this dish all in one pot on the stove or in your slow cooker/pressure cooker.
I like to prepare this in my slow cooker on the browning setting, just make sure you are using that lid otherwise you will have a mess for sure.
I have experimented with plenty of curries for some time now, so you can trust me when I say this recipe is a sure winner.
Now you will want to go down the ethnic food aisle in your local grocery to pick up some “Madras Curry” which is the right kind of curry powder for this recipe.
Then you will add just a few more traditional indian spices that will make this dish absolutely amazing.
Also if your not to familiar with dried fenugreek leaves, then I encourage you taking a stroll down your groceries ethnic for those as well.
They are sure to have it there somewhere, however if you cannot find them feel free to use cilantro or parsley instead.
Who said it takes a chef to make real indian curry? Obviously never was in your kitchen.
Feel free to omit the chickpeas if your not a fan, however I love them and find they work so well in this recipe. Not to mention add more fiber and helps to spread the meal out so you can have leftovers the next day.
If you prefer a much more spicer curry, I definitely recommend that you use fresh tomatoes versus canned. The canned tomatoes do give it a hint of sweetness that I find contrast well with the spices. However this is your curry, so do as you please.
- Simmer on a low-medium heat for 1 hour on the stovetop
- Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
If you like curry dishes as much as me then you are going to love this simple recipe. Be sure to make some basmati rice to serve alongside or if you really want to make it extra special go ahead and make some homemade Naan Bread.
If you end up giving it a try, do let me know in the comments below. I would love to know what you think 🙂
One Pot Chicken Chickpea Curry
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 1 large Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 3 large Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Cold water
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 754 grams Whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 cup Sour Cream Full fat
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tbsp Gram Masala
- 1 tbsp Madras Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- -Simmer on a low-medium heat for 1 hour on the stovetop
- -Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- -Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN CHICKPEA CURRY:
- In a large pot or into a slow cooker pot add the cooking oil and turn on the heat. Next add in large diced onion along with the 2 cinnamon sticks. Saute till the onions are near translucent then add in the diced chicken and saute for 5 minutes till the chicken it's no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Then add in the minced garlic, ginger and saute for 1 minute till fragrant.
- Add in the chopped or canned tomatoes and all the spices and saute for 2 minutes till fragrant.
- Next add in the sour cream, water, dried fenugreek leaves and tomato paste and follow one of the cooking methods above.
- Once cooked top with more dried fenugreek leaves. Serve alongside some rice and enjoy!
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, I appreciate every single one of you! If you made this recipe i’d love to hear how it turned out. You can post a review/picture below or via Instagram and let me know. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
PIN IT FOR LATER