- 1 tbsp Sunflower oil
- (2) 14 oz cans Black Beans
- 1 large Chicken Breast
- 1 large Onion
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 bottle (455) mls Green Mexican Sauce (Salsa Verde)
- 2 large Orange Pepper
- 4 Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 11 cups of stock or 4 tbsp Chicken Stock (or) Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 Avacado
- 2 tbsp Cilantro
I absolutely love this Mexican Black Bean and Chicken Soup, it’s fresh, tasty and satisfying. I came up with it a few months ago, while having an intense craving for some black beans. And cooked the whole soup directly in my slow cooker on the browning setting alone in under one hour. However you can complete the initial steps in less than 15 minutes and then simply set the slow cooker on low for 8 – 10 hours to cook throughout the day if you wish. This recipe makes enough soup for roughly 6 people, or freeze it for another time. One cup of Black Beans has packed 15.2 grams of protein and are a good source of fiber, so we are just using one chicken breast in this soup. Plus black beans are also a good source of antioxidants making this one of the healthiest chili recipes around. I like to use “Better than Bouillon” Chicken stock. We buy ours from Costco, so instead of using 11 cups of liquid Chicken Stock, we use 4 tbsp of that instead. If your interested in trying it out, the link is below.
Did you know that the fiber in black beans actually helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease? Well if that is not more reason enough to eat more of these beans, then I don’t know what is! I like to serve it with fresh chunks of avocado and sometimes a spoonful or two of sour cream. You can cook this on the stove top as well, both methods work great. I hope you give this a try because it’s super delicious!
How to make the Mexican Black Bean and Chicken Soup:
- Start by chopping up all your vegetables into tiny pieces.
- Then add 1 tbsp of oil to your pot and saute your diced chicken breast and chopped onion on medium – low till translucent, then add in your chopped garlic and peppers and saute a few more minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Carefully open 2 cans of 14 oz black beans, or use black beans that you have soaked overnight.
- Add back in the cooked diced chicken and onions, black beans, chopped orange pepper, bottle of Mexican Sauce, smoked paprika, cumin, chili pepper, basil, oregano, cilantro and 2 bay leaves.
- Cover with chicken stock, along with adding in 4-5 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Simmer on the browsing setting for one hour, stirring a few times.
- Or in a Crockpot – on low 8-10 hours
Note: Don’t forget the avocado pieces they extra tasty! Also try adding in some sour cream, to make it more creamy.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe id love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!