To make the White Sauce
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
To make the Macaroni
- 375 grams Macaroni
- 1 tbsp Dijion Mustard
- 4 cups Old Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
To make the Bread Crumb topping
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 tsbp unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
Do you ever just have a craving for some “Good Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese”? But not that stuff you get from the box, more like the kind before the box stuff was ever invented. Well this classic recipe, may just have you doing the happy dance. This recipe has been passed down in my family for generations, it’s simple and the best. So whenever that craving hits for some real Macaroni and Cheese, this recipe is sure to please. I like to make it even extra special by adding panko breadcrumbs on top along with fresh Parmigiano Reggiano, THIS is the stuff dreams are made of. Bubba wants to make it clear that this is one of his favorite recipes of all time, we hope you enjoy!
Creamy with the right amount of crunch!
To make this Old Fashion Macaroni and Cheese:
Start by making the White Sauce:
- On a LOW heat to avoid burning the flour, start by melting the butter and when it begins to sizzle and bubble then you can add the FLOUR slowly, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Watch to make sure the FLOUR is becoming a light brown color, still continuing to stir constantly. This may take 5 minutes or more. If this is not done properly you will either have under cooked flour or you will burn it.
- Once the butter and flour has retched a light brown color, and your sauce has cooled for 5 minutes slowly add in your “COLD” milk and stir till combined. Next, turn down the burner to low heat and add in your thyme, paprika, nutmeg along with white pepper into the white sauce and whisk it all together for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Then your Worcestershire sauce, salt and continue stirring for 5 minutes. Time to add in your “Old Shredded Cheddar Cheese” a bit at a time while stirring it over a low heat until the cheese melts into the white sauce. Now add a tsp of your Dijon Mustard and let it sit to combine.
Baking the Macaroni and Cheese:
- Finally add in your pre cooked and drained macaroni to the baking dish ( add a few drops of water so its not to dry) and toss to coat with the combined cheese sauce. Add more salt and pepper if needed, taste as you go.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese to a glass baking dish. Sprinkle with your Panko breadcrumbs mixture (mix 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter to them prior along with some Parmigiano Reggiano) and bake at 4oo degrees for 20 minutes on the top rack or until the top is golden brown.
Notes: To make a very cheesy pasta ~ Boil one Box of Macaroni which is 375grams typically =8.82 ounces. To make a lighter less cheesy version, yet still very good pasta ~ Boil 450 grams of Macaroni.
Also want to make two batches? Just double the recipe and use two baking pans. This freezes easily for another day, just let it cool and then seal it in a zip lock bag. Transfer to a lightly oiled baking dish the day of baking and top with your breadcrumbs and bake.
The ultimate comfort food ready to enjoy!
Bubba patiently waiting for his first bite, he loves mac n cheese!
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe id love to hear about it! You can post a review/picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!