This is my take on Kung Pao Chicken, traditionally peanuts are used in this dish and most definitely you can use those instead of the cashews.
Personally I much prefer cashews so that is why I have used them here. Kung Pao Chicken with Brussel Sprouts work so well together, and it’s a nice way to get in some extra fiber.
For this recipe today, I am using a skinless chicken breasts along with brussel sprouts, green onions and cashews.
You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, such as red or green peppers, snow peas, broccoli etc.
If your wanting to serve more than 4 people, simply adjust the recipe with our easy to use serving adjuster.
An easy and healthy stir fry that anyone can make in under 30 minutes, the hardest part is washing and chopping the ingredients.
Serve over a bed of jasmine rice if desired I hope you enjoy this healthier version of Kung Pao.
MEAL PREP IDEA: Make enough to create a few meal preps bowls for the week ahead. Or have dinner for two with this recipe, and then create two meal prep bowls for the week ahead.
To make the bowls, simply place jasmine rice on the bottom and top with the Kung Pao Chicken with Brussel Sprouts. Want more preps? Simply double up the recipe with my easy to use recipe adjuster above.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups Brussel Sprouts
- 100 grams Cashews
- 1 tbsp Garlic chili sauce
- 1 Dried California Chili Pepper
- 2 springs Green Onions
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Minced Red Chili Paste
- 3 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Medium Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Egg white
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- Start by slicing the chicken breasts into thin strips and marinade in a bowl with an egg white, and cornstarch for 15 minutes.
- While your chicken is marinating, wash your brussel sprouts, then cut off the bottoms of them and dice in half then once more. So each brussel becomes four pieces. Now on a large baking sheet spread the brussels and then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil and your diced chicken breasts. Sauteing the chicken till no longer pink, remove and set aside. Next chop the green onion, and saute with the California chili pepper.
- Next chop the green onion, and saute with the California chili pepper.
- Next in a small bowl make your sauce, by adding in oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, brown sugar, and garlic chili paste. Pour the sauce into the pan along with the cashews and cup of water.
- Add back in the cooked chicken and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes before.
- Serve over Jasmine rice. Enjoy!