1 tbsp Cooking oil
2 Breasts Boneless chicken breasts* i used two legs and 3 drumsticks
1 large Green Pepper
1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
1 Onionchopped finely
3 tbsp Jamacian Curry Powder
1 Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Cinnamon stick
1 tbsp Cardamom
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Season with salt and pepper
1 Scotch bonnet pepper*or 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp of the sauce
1 tsp Thyme
Today I am sharing a delicious curry recipe that hails from Jamaica. This recipe is definitely one of my favorite Jamaican dishes. It is sooo good, I could eat it each and every day.
I was lucky enough to spend some time in Negril, Ocho Rio and Montego Bay a few years back during one of our frigid winters. And hope to go back again sometimes soon, the people, landscapes and culture was really amazing. Not to mention the food, which is way to good to even explain.
From eating there famous Salty Shrimp, served directly from the ladies who sell it daily on the streets. To there famous Jerk Chicken, Curry Goat, Curry Chicken and Roti’s that were all very delicious. I never forgot these amazing cuisines. “As most Jamaicans would say, Di chicken eat good!! = “The chicken tastes good”.
All over the island you are sure to find similar chicken curry dishes to the recipe here. Just make sure you purchase the correct curry for this recipe, as it’s the most important part when making a Caribbean curry like this.
This is the sauce I like to use instead of the bonnet pepper
Notes: Do not pressure cook chicken with the bones on as this may create lose bones in the curry.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox every Month!
PIN IT FOR LATER
JAMAICAN CHICKEN CURRY
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 3 tbsp Jamaican Curry Powder
- 2 Breasts Boneless chicken breasts
- 1 Large Green Pepper
- 1 Large onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Season with salt and pepper
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Pressure Cooker: Cook for approx. 10 minutes – after following the initial steps.
- Stove Top: Cook covered on low for 60 minutes. – after following the initial steps.
- FOR THE MARINADE: In a resealable container, mix together the lemon juice, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, curry, thyme, black pepper. Add the diced chicken and toss to coat then marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- FOR THE CURRY: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat or pressure cooker on brown setting. Then add the onions, and cook till fragrant about 3 minutes.
- Add in your garlic, ginger along with the curry and saute till the curry becomes fragrant about 2 minutes or so.
- Then add in the scotch bonnet pepper, or 1 tbsp of the sauce and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Then the marinated chicken and cover it on a medium heat, allow it to sweat for about 5 minutes before turning over and covering for another 5 minutes.
- Then the chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and stir to combine. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve alongside some Jasmine rice if desired and enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Revised: Published on March 4th, 2018 and updated on November 4th, 2018