This Indian Chicken Curry (Murgh Kari) is super quick and easy to make and very authentic tasting.
Make it in your pressure cooker or on the stove top in under 30 minutes! Talk about an easy and healthy recipe for a busy weeknight, eh?
This curry is made with boneless chicken breast and is simmered in a rich tomato, yogurt, cream sauce that you’re sure to love.
Me and my partner like to go out for Indian food at least once per month and this is the type of dish he typically goes for. He just loves Curry Chicken so much that he could eat it every single day!
I would too, however whenever I go out to an Indian restaurant, I’m not gonna lie.
I tend to choose a more spicy curry goat or lamb dish. However when it comes to Curry Chicken, this recipe is defiantly high up their on my favorite list.
You can make this dish more spicy, simply by adding more cayenne pepper if desired.
I like to make this recipe at home often because it’s super simple and healthy. Not to mention inexpensive when made in large batches.
How does Chicken Curry taste?
It’s pretty similar to the infamous Butter Chicken, only a bit spicer. Also this recipe does not call for cashews, as Butter Chicken does. If you want an excellent recipe for “Butter Chicken” you are gonna want to try this one.
I learned this dish from “Chef Vikram Vij” when he was on the food network some time ago. I’ve have been making it ever since then!
Be sure to serve this alongside some basmati rice or if you really want to make it extra special go ahead and make some homemade Naan Bread.
If you end up giving it a try, do let me know in the comments below. I would love to know what you think 🙂
HOW TO MAKE INDIAN CHICKEN CURRY IN THE INSTANT POT?
Well it is the same way as 🙂 in a pressure cooker. Read below on those different cooking methods!
HOW TO MAKE INDIAN CHICKEN CURRY IN THE PRESSURE COOKER?
- Making Indian Chicken curry in the pressure cooker is super easy.
- First you will want to add cooking oil/ghee into the pot.
- Next add in large diced onion and saute for 2 minutes on the browsing setting before adding in the diced chicken.
- Toss in the curry and spices along with garlic and ginger.
- Add in the whole can of tomatoes and tomato paste, cream and yogurt.
- Close the lid tight and turn on the pressure cooker.
- Once it’s cooked, serve over basmati rice.
HOW TO MAKE INDIAN CHICKEN CURRY?
You can also make this curry on your stovetop.
Today, I used my pressure cooker because I was in a hurry to have dinner on the table so I could watch my favorite recorded show on the PVR.
However this type of dish can be made either way. So do not be afraid to experiments with it!
Just be sure to follow the steps below for either method and you too will be in chicken curry heaven in no time.
If you don’t typically prepare Indian food, then your family probably won’t believe that you made this yourself.
- Simmer on a low-medium heat for 30 minutes on the stovetop
- Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
Did you like this curry?
Then you’re sure to like my “Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry” which uses coconut milk as is by far my most popular recipe on this blog.
Next to this “Chicken & Spinach Curry“
If your a CURRY lover like me… Then you will also want to try these dishes below too!
- Chickpea Curry
- Easy Red Lentil Curry
- Peanut Butter Chicken Curry
- Super Tasty Chicken Karahi
- Karahi Gosht
- Vegan Thai Coconut Green Curry
- Best Thai Red Curry
- Chicken Chickpea Curry
Notes: If you don’t have “Greek Yogurt” feel free to use “Sour Cream” and skip the actual cream in the recipe if desired for a low fat option.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! You can leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 3 Boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 1 large can 2.89 kgs - Whole canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 cup Plain yogurt, Full fat
- 2 tbsp Cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garam masala
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- In a large pot or into a slow cooker pot add the cooking oil/ghee and turn on the heat. Next add in large diced onion and saute for 2 minutes before adding in the diced chicken. Saute another 7 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Next toss in the curry and remaining spices and saute another 2 minutes before adding in the minced garlic and ginger. Saute for 1 minute till fragrant.
- Add in the canned whole tomatoes and juices along with the tomato paste.
- Next add in the yogurt, cream and stir everything to combine.
- -Simmer on a low-medium heat for another 15 minutes on the stovetop
- -Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your pressure cookers instructions
- -Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
- Once cooked top with parsley, cilantro or dried fenugreek leaves whichever you prefer. Serve alongside some rice and enjoy!
Tomatoes. I used 2.89 kgs can of whole tomatoes, you can use crushed or fresh as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DOWAN Ceramic Soup Bowls, Cereal Bowl, 22 Ounce Bowls Set, Chip Resistant, Dishwasher & Microwave Safe, Porcelain Bowls for Kitchen, White Bowls for Cereal Soup Rice Pasta Salad Oatmeal, Set of 4
Cuisinart C55-12PCKSAM 12 Piece Color Knife Set with Blade Guards (6 knives and 6 knife covers), Jewel - Amazon Exclusive
Gorilla Grip Original Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen, Set of 3, Black
Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Grain Maker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sous Vide, Bake, and Warmer, 6 Quart, Easy-Seal Lid, 10 Programs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 35g
LOOKING FOR AN AWESOME NAAN BREAD RECIPE TO SERVE ALONGSIDE THIS CURRY?
Then look no further, I got you covered! My Garlic Naan Bread Recipe is a WINNER!
Published: April 6, 2017 and revised on November 7th, 2018