This super healthy Fruity Almond Couscous Salad Salad is the perfect summer side dish.
It has hints of sweetness but is by no means overpowering because the yogurt and almonds help to balance all those sweet fruits out just right.
Also couscous can be served on its own as a main dish if desired as well. Sometimes I will shred the leftover meat from a rotisserie chicken over top which goes really well with this type of salad.
Today I’m using instant couscous, which has been pre-steamed and dried. It saves a whole lot of time and is just as healthy for you as the ladder.
Did you know that Couscous is a staple food throughout the North Africa? And has only gained popularity throughout Europe and the West over the past century.
Yup it’s true and prior to becoming a global food group couscous took days to prepare by hand by large groups of woman.
Properly cooked couscous should be light and fluffy and should not be gritty.
In order to achieve this fluffiness one must boil some water or stock and then pour just the right amount over the couscous.
This allows it to fluff up perfectly then you can finish that fluffing with a fork.
Today I made mine fruity, by adding canned oranges, apples and dried cranberries. Feel free to chop up a “fresh orange” instead of the canned variety if you wish.
I just love this simple couscous salad and i’m sure you will too.
If you want to make it a little lighter feel free to omit the mayo and just add plain yogurt, which will make it a even less sweeter taste.
This salad can be enjoyed pretty much any time of year, however I am sure this particular salad will be perfect for those long summer nights out on the back patio! I can picture it now 🙂 Can’t you?
Looking for a Awesome drink recipe to serve with this salad? Try my “Raspberry sweet tea” that is made with agave nectar or honey.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, I appreciate every single one of you! If you made this recipe i’d love to hear how it turned out. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups Water
- 178 grams Original instant couscous
- 1 Gala Apple
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 312 grams Canned Mandarin Oranges
- 1 tbsp Hellmans mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup Sliced Raw Almonds
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tbsp Green Onions
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by empty a package of your favorite original instant couscous into a large bowl that can sustain boiling water without breaking.
- Add in sliced almonds, dried cranberries and your spices to the bowl.
- Meanwhile, boil 2 cups of water and place 1 1/2 cups of the boiling water over the dried instant couscous, dried cranberries and almonds. Allow it to sit for approximately 5 minutes before fluffing lightly with a fork.
- Allow the couscous mixture to come to a complete cool, you can speed this up by placing it in the fridge for up to one hour.
- Then add in the mayo and plain yogurt along with drained canned mandarin oranges, green onion and the chopped gala apple. Season with salt and pepper to taste, enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 7gSugar: 36gProtein: 8g