This Eggplant Chickpea curry is simmered in just the right spices of coriander, cumin, red chili powder, green cardamom, garam masala to name a few.
And is similar to Baingan Bharta which is a popular vegetarian indian eggplant dish, however with my recipe we are not roasting the eggplant, rather frying it.
This is one of my favorite vegetarian curries, I tend to eat it once a week. Simple, healthy and not expensive at all to make you are sure to love it too.
Packed full of so many flavors and texture it’s makes a satisfying and hearty meal. Serve alongside some naan bread, or rice and don’t forget to share.
Eating vegetarian never tasted so good. Go ahead and sprinkle this dish with some dried Fenugreek leaves on top for that extra flavor.
Note: If you are cooking on the stove top, omit the water. Otherwise it’s needed in the pressure cooker.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 large Eggplant
- 2 cups Chickpeas
- 1 large Onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup Chopped can tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander, powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 crushed Green Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Fenugreek, leaves
- Cooking Methods:- Pressure Cooker: Cook for approx. 8 minutes – after following the initial steps.- Slow Cooker: Place on LOW for 3-4 hours HIGH for 4 hours. – after following the initial steps.- Stove Top: Cook covered on low for 60 minutes. – after following the initial steps.
- Start by washing your eggplant and chop up into bite sized pieces and soak covered in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.
- Once your eggplant has soaked, fry your eggplant in your pot/cooker in the oil for 10 minutes till tender.
- Remove from cooker and set aside. Next in the same large pot over medium heat add in your diced onion, saute till translucent, then add your ginger and garlic saute one more minute.
- Add in 1/2 cup of chopped canned tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the tomato liquid. Add in all your dry spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add back in your fried eggplant, and chickpeas and follow one of the cooking methods above. Once your dish is cooked, serve and top each plate with 1 tsp of “Dried Fenugreek Leaves” enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 14gSugar: 12gProtein: 11g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix