This Creamy Mushroom Surf and Turf Recipe is super simple to make and is abosolutly delcious!
I will never understand why it’s so darn expensive to order Surf and Turf at a Restaurant when you can make it for a fraction of the cost at home.
This type of dinner is something I tend to make for my loved ones on those special occasions.
WHAT IS SURF AND TURF RECIPE
It is a meal that combines seafood and red meat.
A lot of high end restaurants serve steak and lobster for there surf and turf, while others serve it with shrimp, squid or scallops.
Surf and turf is often shared with sauce, like garlic butter.
For my recipe, I serve it with a garlic mushroom soup sauce that goes oh so well.
CAN YOU COOK STEAK AND SHRIMP TOGETHER
It is not advisable, as the steak takes just a bit longer to cook and mixing the two can cross flavors and make either the shrimp undercooked or the steak.
SURF AND TURF RECIPE
- We are using a 2 inch thick Sirloin Steak and searing it over medium-high heat.
- This steak can be served rare, medium rare or medium well done.
- You can also use fillet, ribeye or t-bone if you like in replace of sirloin.
- Just take note of the different cooking times as I will explain more below.
- This recipe works very well served on top of mashed potatoes.
- Also, be sure to use a can of Campbell’s mushroom soup.
Mix that soup with a little milk and you will have the creamiest shrimp you ever tasted to top those tender steaks.
HOW TO COOK SIRLOIN STEAK MEDIUM RARE
Sirloin steak is best served medium rare, in order to cook it that way you will want to sear it for 6 minutes on one side then flip it over once and sear it for another 5 minutes on the other.
HOW TO COOK STEAK
If you prefer your steak medium cooked, then you will want to sear it for 7 minutes on one side and 4-5 on the other. Always let your steak sit off the heat for 5 minutes to rest before serving!
Sirloin steak is allot like fillet and is considered a prime steak and is most people’s favorite cut.
I just love the way the the mushroom soup makes everything come together.
Now the trick to cooking the best steak is to use ample butter.
The second trick is to season the steak generously on both sides prior to cooking with salt and pepper. If you follow those two tips alone you are sure to prepare the best steak ever.
Steak cooking times vary based on the cut: Always cook your steak over medium-high heat, searing it on each side only once. Turning the steak often sometimes leads to a overcooked and tough steak.
HOW SIRLOIN STEAK
- Sirloin Steak: Cook for 6 minutes on one side and 4-5 on the other for a medium rare steak. Up the cooking time by one minute to have a medium steak.
- Ribeye: Cook for 5 minutes on one side and 3 on the other for a medium rare steak
- Fillet: Cook for 4 minutes on one side and 3 on the other for a medium rare steak
- T-Bone: Cook for 8 minutes on one side and 4-5 on the other for a medium rare steak
What is your favorite cut of steak? and seasoning mixture? I would love to hear about it in the comments below.
I’m thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 6 tbsp of butter
- 2 Sirlion Steaks of your choosing
- 3 Yukon Potatoes
- 1/2 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 can of campbells mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by brining a medium pot of water to a boil. Add in the peeled and chopped potatoes.
- Once the potatoes have become fork tender, strain most of the water out leaving some to mash.
- Add in 1 tbsp of butter and mash.
- SET the mash potatoes aside, covered for plating.
- Now, add 2 tbsp of butter to a cast iron skillet and bring to a medium heat.
- Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes per side, or until desired level of doneness is achieved.
- During the last 2 mintues of cooking add in the fresh rosemary. Once the level of doneness is achieved.
- Remove the steaks, cover and set aside.
- In the same cast iron pan, add 1 tbsp of butter along with the minced garlic and rosemary.
- Saute 1 mintue till frangrent and then add in the mushroom soup and milk.
- Add in the shrimp and simmer all together on low heat for 5 mintues, then set aside.
- Plate each plate with the mashed potaoes, steak and top with the mushroom shrimp mixture.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minute or until pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the parsley.
- Place the steaks back in the pan. Arrange the shrimp on top of the steaks.
- Spoon the garlic butter sauce over the steak and shrimp. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of parsley, then serve.