This Calamari/Squid Marinara is a simple recipe that hails from Italy. Where the Calamari is simmer in a delicious herbed marinara sauce and typically is served over pasta.
This particular dish is made with three types of tomatoes, olive oil, onions, garlic, anchovy pasta and some more herbs and is simply delicious! This is my take on the dish, I hope you give it a try.
You can make this dish more on the sweet side or spicy side, whichever you prefer. Also if your looking for more of a fresh tasting marinara be sure to use only fresh tomatoes, this will also make it more spicy.
If your wanting a somewhat sweet and spicy marinara, then use half italian canned tomatoes, and half fresh tomatoes. Just like I have in the recipe here, I like both versions so I will leave that choice completely up to you.
Also you can add fresh parmesan cheese right before serving to kick it up a extra notch. And before you know it you’ll eating like the Italians in Naples!
This Calmari does not come out rubbery, and that is because we are simmering it for 30 minutes in a marinara sauce that helps to tenderizes it. I like to by my squid in tubes fresh from the local fish market, however you can also use frozen pre cut squid that has already been sliced into rings.
The jalapenos and red chili flakes give it a little kick, and works so well with this whole dish. If you prefer less spice, omit the jalapenos only.
Just ask the Italians, why this dish is always on the dinner table Christmas eve for there 7 fish dinner? They will tell you, it’s not only tradition it’s the best way to really enjoy calamari. Of course every italian family, makes this dish slightly different. So I encourage you to try a few recipes out yourself and see what works for you.
Simply the best Calamari Marinara!
Inspired by: Chefs Johns “Calamari Marinara”
Notes: For a more fresh/spicy tasting marinara use only fresh tomatoes. For a more sweet marinara use half canned and half fresh tomatoes.
I’m thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review, picture below or via Instagram and by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Anchovy paste
- 10 Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 400 ml or Fresh Roma Tomatoes Italian Tomatoes Canned
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 pounds Calamari
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Pepper and Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp sliced Fresh Jalapeno
- If your serving this with pasta, make that ahead of time.
- In a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and your diced onions and minced garlic along with red chili flakes, sliced jalapeno peppers and anchovy paste and simmer till fragrant.
- Next add in the canned tomatoes, fresh roma tomato and chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes before adding in the chicken stock and all the seasoning.
- Slice the Calamari and add it to the pan.
- Stir and cover with a lid, and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes to tenderize the calamari.
- Top with Parmesan Cheese and serve over a bed of pasta if desired. Enjoy!