This is my favorite way to make Cabbage Pico De Gallo. Why? Because it is shredded so fine like you see below.
What is Pico De Gallo
It is a popular Mexican salsa that is enjoyed in tacos and with tortillas.
Once you try this salsa you won’t ever want to go back to those store bought varieties.
That’s for sure.
I just love this salsa because it’s like nothing else.
And is very fresh tasting not to mention super healthy for you.
Snacking on this just feels good!
So go ahead and serve along with your favorite tortilla chips or use it as a side or filling for your tacos, fajitas, burritos etc.
Pico De Gallo is Mexican salsa also known as Salsa Fresca and made from chopped Roma tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeños peppers, salt, and lime juice.
It’s name, in Spanish means ‘beak of a rooster’ and is believed to originate from the resemblance of the way a rooster pecks in his food to make it edible.
The chopping of the ingredients which also prepares a very colorful salsa which resemble the colors of a rooster’s feathers.
Thank you MEXICO for sharing this amazing recipe with the us. Buen provecho. This salsa is so fresh and tasty, I could eat it all day everyday!
I like to add finely shredded cabbage to mine, and to do that you will need a food processor.
However you can omit the cabbage for a more traditional Mexican Pico De Gallo if you prefer.
That recipe is listed below and is also on this blog, however this is my favorite version and really goes a long way and feeds more people when paired with other Mexican dishes.
This is the best Salsa in the WORLD!!
When making this simple salsa, make sure to drain most of the liquid out of your tomatoes otherwise it will become mushy to fast. I recommend using Roma tomatoes, that way there is not to much liquid.
Looking for a recipe to pair this with? Try my
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, I appreciate every single one of you! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 1/2 head Cabbage
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 onion Onion
- 1 tbsp Jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp Jalapeno pepper juice
- 2 limes Lime, juice
- 1 large bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper
- Start by dicing your roma tomatoes, and remove as much of the seeds as possible. Your wanting more of a dry salad as opposed to liquid. If your tomatoes are producing a lot of liquid, take a paper towel and remove as much liquid as possible then set aside.
- Slice your large cabbage in half, and cut it up so that it fits inside your food processor.
- Pulse the cabbage to a fine size, but do not over pulse you do not want mushy cabbage.
- Dice onion, press garlic, and chop your cilantro and then place inside a large bowl. Add in your chopped cabbage, tomatoes, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir everything together to combine and allow it to marinade in the fridge anywhere from 1-2 hours.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips, tacos, fajitas burritos etc! Enjoy