3 Boneless chicken breasts
1 tbsp Cooking oil
1/2 cup Whole Cashewsblended
1/4 cup Cream
5 tbsp Butter
1 medium Onion
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Cream
3 large Tomatoes
3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
4 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
2 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
1 tbsp Red chili powder
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tbsp Salt
Awww the infamous Butter Chicken, also known as (Murgh Makhani). Almost everyone that has tried this dish has loved it. Matter of fact it’s one of the most popular Indian curries Worldwide today.
It’s become so popular that the supermarkets are now selling various versions of it in pre- packaged bottles in hopes to win your business. But that stuff just won’t cut if for those of us who are familiar with traditional Butter Chicken. Plus those bottles are expensive costing near 4x the price that it takes to make it from scratch, not to mention not nearly as tasty. This stuff tastes just like it does in the restaurants, so follow along for the best butter chicken ever.
I think the reason people by those pre-made bottles is because they think making it from scratch is hard, but I assure you it’s not. It’s all about having the right ingredients, and nothing in this ingredients list is is foreign besides possibly the fenugreek leaves also known as kasuri methi. Bubba assures you, it’s just dried fenugreek leaves which can be found in practically any supermarket today, see picture below of the stuff we use.
It can be located right in the international aisle at any major superstore. You also have the option of adding cashews to this recipe if you’d like, we have in the past. However have found that the adding the yogurt, cream along with butter gives it the right amount of creaminess.
This popular dish hails from the Indian subcontinent and is noted for its creamy and smooth butter taste, you can make it more spicy by adding an extra 1 tsp of red chili powder if desired. Otherwise this is a mild curry compared to other traditional Indian dishes. In comparison we would rate the spice level of this dish to other Indian dish, a 4 out of 10. We hope you enjoy this tasty dish as much as we do! Serve it alongside some naan bread and enjoy!
We don’t add as much cream to this Butter Chicken as most do, which will give it a more orange color. If your wanting a more cream heavy type of Butter Chicken just add 1/2 cup of cream opposed to the 1/4 cup that my recipe calls for.
Looking for a great recipe for homemade naan bread? Fenugreek Butter Naan Bread
Note: If you want a more creamy butter chicken add 1/2 cup of cream instead of the 1/4 cup that I used in this recipe.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! You can post a review/picture below or via Instagram and let me know how it turned out. And by doing so you will be automatically entered into our seasonal CONTEST to win one of our great prizes. Winner will be notified via email within a week after the contest closes. Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 Boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup Whole Cashews
- 1/4 cup Cream
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1 medium Onion
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Cream
- 3 large Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ginger n Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves Kasoori Methi
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Pressure Cooker: Cook for approx. 10 minutes – after following the initial steps.
- Slow Cooker: Place on LOW for 3-6 hours HIGH for 6 hours. – after following the initial steps.
- Stove Top: Cook on low for 30 minutes. – after following the initial steps.
- Start by washing and dicing up your chicken, place in a bowl to marinade.
- Add in ginger/garlic paste, red chilli powder and salt to the bowl and mix everything together.
- In your pot/pan heat the cooking oil and fry the marinated chicken till no longer pink, once cooked set aside in a clean bowl.
- In the same pot/pan add onion, butter and cook till translucent.
- Next add in the diced tomatoes, whole cashews, yogurt, cream, red wine vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Next add in sugar, garam masala, chili powder, onion powder and remaining salt simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled down, pour all the mixture into a "FOOD PROCESSOR" and puree till it's creamy.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot/pan and 4 tbsp of butter and the cream.
- Add your cooked marinated Chicken back into the pot, along with Kasoori Methi = Dried Fenugreek Leaves" simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl along with rice or naan bread and garnish with cream and more "Kasoori Methi = Dried Fenugreek Leaves. Enjoy with some Naan bread or RICE!
PIN IT FOR LATER