This is the Best Bread Stuffing as it contains fresh sourdough bread, fresh mushrooms, onions and savory spices.
A bread stuffing is always a hit during the holidays!
Serve this alongside my Best Turkey recipe and you will be in business.
WHAT BREAD MAKES THE BEST STUFFING
Sourdough or French Bread
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BREAD STUFFING
The trick is th use fresh sourdough bread for this recipe.
garlic powder, onion powder, fresh onions diced finely, fresh cubed mushrooms, poultry seasoning 1/2 tsp savory, ground pepper, sunflower seeds, salt
- Fry your diced onions and mushrooms first with a bit of olive oil and butter.
- Then put your cubed sourdough bread in the frying pan
- Add all your spices
- Mix to combine and add a dash of chicken stock.
- Bake at 350 f for 20 to 25 minutes!
Wanting to feed more, simply double up the ingredients and place it into a larger baking dish.
CAN I PUT STUFFING INTO A TURKEY
Yes, just make sure to cook the Turkey an hour or so longer as the stuffing has to reach an internal temperature of 170° F ti be safe to eat.
What I tend to do is cook the stuffing in the turkey, then when it is time to remove the stuffing.
I will place it into a shallow baking dish and place it back in the oven to cook for another 15 minutes, while I slice the turkey!
More Christmas & Thanksgiving recipes you may like:
Want more Holiday recipes? See below for some inspiration!
- Butter Herb & Parmesan Mushrooms
- Turkey Pot Pies
- Creamy Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Mustard Brussel Sprouts
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic
Also check out my roundup of Thanksgiving & Christmas Recipes from around the World or my 10 delicious stuffing recipes! for more inspiration!
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this recipe i’d love to hear about it! Thank you very much for reading and until next time see ya in the kitchen. Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for our NEWSLETTER delivered right to your inbox
Best Bread Stuffing
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 5 chopped mushrooms
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cups diced celery
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 /2 tsp fresh sage or dried
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage or dried
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme or dried
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme leaves or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tbsp of chicken or turkey broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by dicing the onions and mushrooms into small pieces
- Then cube the bread and set aside
- In a large frying pan ad the butter and olive oil and saute the onions and mushrooms till browned.
- Add in the cubed bread and toss with all the seasonings and mix everything till combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 f and place into a small baking dish and mix in the chicken stock.
- Bake uncovered 20 - 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 1700mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix