This Authentic Trinidadian Chicken Curry is also made with potatoes, chickpeas and carrots and is a one pot meal that is ready in under an hour.
I’ve experimented with this Authentic Trinidadian Chicken Curry for well over a year. And this is the recipe your going to want to make.
My dish here has just 4 pieces of chicken drumsticks in it and will serve 2 or 3 people.
If you want to serve more people simply add more chicken and or chickpeas to this recipe.
I grew up eating out at a local Caribbean restaurant as a kid. My mom and me loved double doubles and curry goat and even chicken dishes. So I have a taste for this cuisines and wanted to learn to perfect it myself and feel I have with this dish.
The authentic flavors are there and it is not only hearty its a healthy meal that serves well with rice.
You can use Chicken breasts instead of the drumsticks if you desire and then serve over rice or in a roti.
Now traditionally there is no carrots in this Authentic Trinidadian Chicken Curry recipe. However, I find adding them makes the dish better but that is up to you. Feel free to omit the carrots if you want.
I am so thrilled you are reading one of my recipes, if you made this, I want to see! Follow Canadian Cooking Adventures Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @canadiancookingadventures and #canadiancookingadventures.
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 can 540 ml of chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrots, diced
- 1 large potato, cooked and diced
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 /2 tsp salt
- Start by mixing all the spices together in a shallow bowl.
- Then in a large pot heat some cooking oil and add in the chicken drumsticks sauté till lightly browned on all sides then set aside.
- Next add in more cooking oil and sauté the diced onion till translucent then add in the fresh garlic/ginger and all the spices.
- Sauté till fragrant then remove and set aside.
- Next add in the chicken stock and the cooked chicken and spices.
- Add in a can of chickpeas and diced carrots, potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Cover the pot and simmer on medium- low heat for 35 minutes turning twice.
- Serve once the chicken and carrots and potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 967Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 235mgSodium: 3233mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 22gSugar: 14gProtein: 65g
These calculations are based off Nutritionix